Passionfruit Cheese Tart

Two weeks ago, my father-in-law gave me some home-grown passionfruits by his Malaysian relatives. I haven't get a chance to bake a passionfruit dessert. Have been searching on the web on what is best with passionfruits. Wanted to do a souffle, but I've never tried it before, and was afraid of wasting the passionfruits. :p In the end, I thought of cheese tarts. So I ended up with a Passionfruit Cheese Tart today. I extracted the recipe from Cherry's Baking World, Baked Cheese Tart, and modified it.



Recipe:
Ingredients for Cheese filling

(for 9" tart mould)
155g Cream Cheese, room temperature
60g Caster Sugar
1 egg
18g Cornflour, sifted
125g Cream
40g Passionfruit puree
20g Passionfruit pulps

Method:
1) Beat cream cheese and sugar evenly.
2) Add egg into cheese in 2 batches. Mix well after each addition.
3) Add the cornflour, followed by cream. Mix well after each addition.
4) Mix the passionfruit puree, and mix well.
5) Pour the cream cheese into a par-baked tart crust, and topped it with the passionfruit pulps as decoration.
6) Bake it in the preheated overn at 160C for 45 minutes, or until browned.

I used the tart dough from my previous leftover. If you have some passionfruit pulps left over, you can make some passionfruit syrup like what I did.

Passionfruit Syrup
80g Passionfruit pulps
40g Water
80g Sugar
10g Cornflour

1) Cook them over low heat in a saucepan.
2) Bring to boil completely.
3) Wait for it to cool before pouring it over the tart.
4) Put it in the fridge before serving.

If you prefer the natural sourness of passionfruit, you can reduce the sugar amount.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
January 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM

So hungry and drool ! I like taste of passionfruit, sweet and sour and also the particular aroma of it. Plus I'm a big fan of cheese, bravo !

Passionate About Baking said...
January 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Hi chumpman,
Looks like we have similar palates! ;)

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!