Chocolate Cake

I promised my sister I will bake a cake for my nephew for his 7th birthday on Saturday. I specifically asked her to ask him what kind of cake he would like. He had said, chocolate, and only chocolate. So I thought, chocolate cakes are not difficult isn't it? All over, there are many chocolate cakes' recipe. I thought of baking Kitchen Corner's Chocolate Moist cake. Doesn't look too difficult, and looks quite impressive if I can bake that.

Then I decided to bake from "Delicious Cake" by Amy Heng. I chose the Moist Chocolate Cake to bake on Friday evening. Somemore, I baked a 10-inch cake. How bad can that be right? From the oven, to removing from the pan and cooling, everything was fine on the evening.


To my dismay on Saturday before I assemble the cake, the inside of the cake was not fully cooked! When I tried to slice it horizontally, it broke into crumbs! Arrgghhhhh! I was so disappointed! I purposely cooked double portion of the Chocolate Fudge from Kitchen Corner's Chocolate Moist Cake recipe. Despite being crumpy, I tried my very best to assemble the cake, hopefully the fudge can save it! I was wrong! Totally wrong! Because the fudge that I cooked turned out to be quite starchy and lumpy, wasn't as shiny as Kitchen Corner's and doesn't look so easy to spread too! It made spreading even worst! The more I tried to cover up, the more the cake came up! It was really nerve-wrecking! I asked myself if I can still proceed to bring this no-standard lousy cake over to my mum's house. Pondering...thinking of the impression I will give, and the disappointment I will see in my nephew's face.

It was already 2pm, having to leave the house at 4.30pm, I decided to quickly bake another chocolate cake and do whatever frosting I have! There was just no time to think of decoration, or fanciful designs. I baked the sponge cake based on Alex Goh's recipe, using two 7" round pan. I quickly let it cool after baking, and proceed to do the frosting. With the leftover of the chocolate fudge from the earlier assembly, and chocolate ganache, plus I whipped up Creme Chantilly & added Bailey's Creme Caramel, I managed to assemble a decent looking 4-layer Chocolate Cake by 4.30pm! *WHEW!!*

Now I know why "she" (one of the blogger) need to seek for ideas when it comes to baking a birthday cake! I'm also like her, totally lost, and not quite confident of presenting a good cake in front of others! I hope hers turn out to be as successful (as my 2nd attempt)! Wish her all the best, and hope her guests love her creations!



Happy Birthday to my dearest nephew, Deuel! ;)

9 comments:

quizzine said...
August 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I've just had an exactly similar situation as you, except that i didnt have time to bake another cake, and the feedback of cake is no-good ;-( At least your 2nd attempt is a success (oO). Me gotta try harder next time, let's jia-you together!

Passionate About Baking said...
August 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Hi quzzine,
I'm so sorry to hear that someone has the same plight as me. :( Yeah, at least I still had the opportunity to bake a 2nd cake to make up for it. You didn't. :( You're right, we shall not be beaten by failed attempts! We shall learnt from our failed attempts, and strived to do better! 加油!

Yuri said...
August 25, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Hey, it turned out to be good cake for you in the end!

As I didn't have time to bake another cake, the first cake was a little dry and in future, I will definitely want to be more generous with the creme chantilly!

Passionate About Baking said...
August 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Yuri,
Yes, finally it was good. Well, at least you learnt from your 1st experience! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...
August 27, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Hi Jane,
I'm sorry to hear that the chocolate cake turn out not right. Are you using my moist cake recipe? For the chocolate fudge, it shouldn't be stored in the fridge unless you've spread it on the cake. It can be stored at the room temperature in 2 days if you are not using it straigth away. Anyway, congratulation you have got a nice cake at the end! Cheers!

Passionate About Baking said...
August 28, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Hi Grace,
No worries about that. I didn't use your cake recipe, that was why it failed! Heehee... I tried the chocolate fudge, but it didn't turn out so silky nice like yours. Mine was lumpy. Dunno what happened also. :p Thanks for your encouragement too! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...
August 29, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Hi Jane,
For the chocolte fudge, cook it on double boiler and keep stirring with a hand whisk at low heat. It need some times to do it.

Passionate About Baking said...
August 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Hi Grace,
Thanks for the info. I think I'd better confess in order not to do you a disservice. :< I didn't cook it over a double boiler, I heat it under direct heat. I think that was why your fudge was silky and mine like lumpy. I also just realised that. Apologies for not following instructions. :(

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Hi Grace,
Thanks for the info. I think I'd better confess in order not to do you a disservice. :< I didn't cook it over a double boiler, I heat it under direct heat. I think that was why your fudge was silky and mine like lumpy. I also just realised that. Apologies for not following instructions. :(

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!