Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

The bbq on Saturday was partially to celebrate my brother-in-law's birthday and also to have some bbq fun. The stuff that they bought for bbq are pretty good - lamb chops, satay, chicken wings, sotong balls, sausages and MARSHMALLOWS! How can we have bbq without marshmallows? That was actually requested by my daughter.


Anyway, my brother-in-law requested for cheesecake for his birthday. He is a cheesecake person. Last year, I baked him a New York Cheesecake. This year, he asked me to surprise him. I went surf through the web, looking for "exotic" or "special" cheesecakes, but just don't know what is suitable. Finally, I found a very special cheesecake recipe - Vanilla Bean Cheesecake. It looks simple enough to follow and special enough to make as it has real vanilla seeds. However, instead of baking the sponge cake from the recipe by Mandy, I use the usual biscuits crumbs. As I crushed more crumbs, I decided to have the crumbs at the sides too. It turns out, the cheesecake was really really nice. Not too sweet, as I cut down the sugar, a mild vanilla taste, not too cheesy, and the biscuit crumbs lighten the cheese taste. Everyone said it was really really nice and special. I'm glad I made the right choice...again!


14 comments:

quizzine said...
May 25, 2009 at 11:30 PM

mmmm, this looks delicious! Your BIL is a lucky guy ;-)

Angie's Recipes said...
May 26, 2009 at 1:50 AM

oh, man...look at that cheese smooth, and creamy filling....and not even tiny small crack on the top. I would say that all your baking courses paid back.

Anonymous said...
May 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Your cake looks very delicious! How I wish I can have a slice to try. By the way, do you sell them?

Anonymous said...
May 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM

HI
saw your comment at HHB's blog. My boy is in Pei Chun, pri 5 this year. what about yours? btw, your blog is in my list of favourites! keep up the good work!
regards
octopusmum

Passionate About Baking said...
May 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Hi quizzine,
Thanks. I'm also lucky I have a big family for me to practice my bakings! ;)

Hi Angie,
Thanks. Yes, that is why I'm still attending courses to learn more. But sometimes, bakings is still dependable on "luck". I still believe in that. ;p

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks. I also agree this is one of my best cheesecakes. :p I'm lucky on that day I think. You want to buy? Drop me an email @ aloyallyanders@gmail.com. We can always discuss.

Hi octopusmum,
Thanks for making my simple blog as one of your favourites. :) It's my pleasure. My boy is in the same school as yours! He is in P4 this year. Are you also a homemaker? Do you have a blog too? Drop me an email @ aloyallyanders@gmail.com and we can chat more about PCPS. ;)

Happy Homebaker said...
May 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hi Jane, just like you, as much as I would like to leave a comment on all the blogs I frequent, sometimes, I just couldn't find the time. I am a faithful follower of your blog too.

Kitchen Corner said...
May 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Hi Jane,
I must say you are the perfectionist! The cheesecake looks like the one display at coffee house. I like the crumbs go along the edges. It's looks very neat. Good job!

Anonymous said...
May 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I don't eat cheese, whereas my mister's a huge cheese-aholic, and I'm sure that this would totally make his day! I'm definitely bookmarking this.

Your cheesecake looks perfect, btw, almost storebought!

Passionate About Baking said...
May 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hi HHB,
Thanks a lot for your compliment. Btw, I saw what you had written earlier. Thanks a lot for letting me know (intentionally or unintentionally). ;p

Hi Grace,
Thanks! I wish I'm a perfectionist too! This is the first time I did with crust along the sides as it's not ez. But I'm like you, I also like the crust along the sides so that the cheese isn't too over-powering! :)

Hi ovenhaven,
Thanks a lot for your compliment. The original recipe was from Mandy. You should look at her other cheesecakes, they looked so tempting too! :)

Happy Homebaker said...
May 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Hi Jane, you saw it?! Good! I got to delete it as I remembered I was told/scolded (many times) for writing anything too personal :'(

Passionate About Baking said...
May 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Hi HHB,
Thanks for your info. Ya, it's really difficult to draw a line sometimes. :)

Happy Homebaker said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Hi Jane, you saw it?! Good! I got to delete it as I remembered I was told/scolded (many times) for writing anything too personal :'(

Anonymous said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Your cake looks very delicious! How I wish I can have a slice to try. By the way, do you sell them?

Angie's Recipes said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

oh, man...look at that cheese smooth, and creamy filling....and not even tiny small crack on the top. I would say that all your baking courses paid back.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!