A New Attempt

It was another day of "busyness" in the kitchen. My best companion has its mood swings at certain time. He is none other than my Delonghi! He was hot at 190C sometimes or at 100C. Either mad in the head, or mad in the heart. He "sees" red most of the time while I tried to monitor his temperature with the oven thermometer. Heehee...Okay, back to what I bake today.

Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake
This was a TOTAL FLOP (even though the colour was really attractive!!) The end result was exactly like my Mango Chiffon Cake two days ago. I don't know what went wrong, but the smell and taste of the cake was really nice. Another recipe from Kevin Chai. Is it him, or is it me?? :p



Pizzas, baked pastas & Garlic breads with Rosemary
Five pizzas with different toppings: Teriyaki Salmon, Teriyaki Prawns, Minced Pork with Black Bean Paste, Bacons & Mushrooms. Baked pastas with mixed herbs and garlic breads with fresh rosemary herbs.


Intense Chocolate Souffle
This was requested by my sister. She wanted souffle for dessert tonight. So I tried to surf the web for a good recipe. I've not tried this before. It's a new attempt! Since my younger sister just bought the Ghirardelli chocs for me, I managed to find one recipe from that site: Intense Dark Souffles. I halved the recipe. I was quite reluctant to use up the whole packet of the chocolates since I only have one packet. So I saved half for myself! ;)




On a separate note, I bought the purple sweet potato last Saturday. So I told my helper to add it to the porridge to cook (like normal sweet potato). Finally, we had purple porridge for lunch. The sweet potatoes were really sweet and nice. Makes the porridge so yummy!

8 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...
October 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Hi Jane,
I think there is a problem of my oven or thermometer. Last time I've no problem using the oven for baking without a thermometer. But after using the thermometer everything goes wrong. I'm not sure is my thermometer problem or the oven. The temperature shows at the thermometer always lower than the oven indicator. For example 190'C at the oven indicator but 160 at the thermometer. Do you have the same problem?

Passionate About Baking said...
October 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Hi Grace,
Yes, the oven thermometer is usually lower than the dial that we set. I faced the same thing as you too! Used to be quite accurate, but overtime use, it's lower than the dial. Maybe the thermometer needs a calibration? :p Well Grace, if it's affecting your baking, make away with the oven thermometer and see how it goes. Sorry about it. :(

Kitchen Corner said...
October 28, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Hi Jane,
Thanks for your replied. By the way, how to calibrate the thermometer? I normally switch on the oven to higher degree to match the thermometer indicator but those baking get burnt easily kekeke... I really have no idea :P

Passionate About Baking said...
October 28, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Oops, sorry Grace! I just anyhow say "calibrate". Usually measuring equipment needs calibration. In this case, either the oven thermometer needs to be replaced, or something is not right. :p But I'll just put it there.

Kitchen Corner said...
October 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM

ho ho ho... Jane, I got it. Cheers!

Anonymous said...
November 6, 2008 at 2:17 AM

hi! can i ask where you got your purple sweet purple? i've been hunting for them in singapore! :)

ps i love ur souffle cups. are they available here too?

many many thanks!!

pansy

Passionate About Baking said...
November 6, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Hi Pansy,
I bought my purple sweet potatoes from Sheng Shiong at Serangoon North. I believe they have it at most of their stores. It cost $3/kg. I bought it for it's colour though.:p
Oh yes, I bought the souffle cups from Daiso for $2/each. You need to read the instructions for the glasswares you buy from Daiso as not all are bakeable. These batch I bought are bakeables and I specifically look for bakeables only. :p I hope this helps.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Hi Pansy,
I bought my purple sweet potatoes from Sheng Shiong at Serangoon North. I believe they have it at most of their stores. It cost $3/kg. I bought it for it's colour though.:p
Oh yes, I bought the souffle cups from Daiso for $2/each. You need to read the instructions for the glasswares you buy from Daiso as not all are bakeable. These batch I bought are bakeables and I specifically look for bakeables only. :p I hope this helps.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!