Indecisive...

I wanted to bake something this evening. However, I cannot decide what to bake. Flipping through my baking books, I was indecisive. Since I just bought a new silicone car mould, I wanted to bake cupcakes. Then, I cannot decide which recipe to use. To frost or not to frost. I wanted to bake swiss rolls, but I don't know what fillings I should make. I'm so INDECISIVE!!

Finally, I settle on Alex Goh's Creative Cakes. The cake was meant to be cut out to be a smaller cake from the cake sheet. In the end, I use it to make swiss rolls instead. I made a strawberry swiss roll and a chocolate one. The chocolate turned out to be quite small.



Recipe extracted from "Creative Making of Cakes".
Cake
(A) 160g Sugar, 15g Cake emulsifier
(B) 5 Eggs, 130g Cake Flour, 1 tsp Baking powder
(C) 40ml Water
(D) 85g Melted butter

Method:
1. Mix (A) till well blended, then (B) and whip till thickened.
2. Add (C) and continue to whip till light and fluffy.
3. Fold in (D) and mix till well blended.
4. Pour it into 2 12" square shallow mould. (I use a 13" x 17" sheet pan with some leftovers which I baked on my silicon car mould).
5. Bake at 190C on the middle rack for 20 minutes. (With my sheet pan, I baked for 12minutes only).
6. After baking, remove it immediately from the mould. Leave to cool.
7. Frost it according to your preference.

5 comments:

Gina Choong said...
October 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM

have you use a silicone mould before? if you need advice, let me know. :) i loved silicone ware coz its so easy to clean.

Passionate About Baking said...
October 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Hi Gina,
Thanks. You're a fan of silicone bakewares too? I bought this silicone bakeware, but didn't grease it as I didn't think it was required, turn out, my "cars" were distorted, as if they all had came out from a chain accident. Can you share with me how to use them and clean them please? Thanks!

Gina Choong said...
October 11, 2008 at 7:47 AM

I sell silicone bakeware mah..so have to know what it is, how it works. I used it for bake chiffon cake. comes out perfectly shaped. the inside of the silicone should be glossy finish. so when the cake is baked, leave it to cool slightly and pop it out. to wash it, just add liquid detergent to each 'hole' of your cars tray, pour boiling hot water over it. Leave it for 5 mins..then rinse with tap water, wash till soap is gone. hang up like wet clothes to dry! but the thing is, the ones sold at PM are not very good. I bought a mini castle(*6 in a tray) and all my cakes come out 'accident' like yours! since then, I never buy from them. It seems that the quality not so good.

Passionate About Baking said...
October 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Hi Gina,
Thanks a lot for your tips! I think I might have faced the problem as you for your mini castle. You are right, this one from PM does not have a glossy finish. :( I bought a silicone pyramid bakeware from PH last time and it has that glossy finish you said and it was just so easy to remove! I would think PM's quality is not as good as what you have mentioned. :( So expensive some more! *Arrrggghhh*

gina said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

have you use a silicone mould before? if you need advice, let me know. :) i loved silicone ware coz its so easy to clean.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!