Coffee Buns

For a long long time, I've always wanted to bake coffee buns, but other recipes just got in the way of the coffee buns. :p Finally this morning, since I was on leave, waiting for the appointment for my daughter, I thought I might as well bake the long-awaited coffee buns. It was pretty easy to bake. I halved the recipe I extracted from Aunt Yochana's web. :)



Recipe:
Bread Dough:
250g Bread flour
15g Milk Powder
5g Instant Yeast
25g Sugar
1 egg
110g Water
35g Unsalted butter
1/2tsp Salt

Filling:
Shredded Cheese

Toppings:
35g Butter
50g Icing sugar
1tbsp Coffee
1/2 beaten egg
42g Plain flour
10g Milk Powder
1/2tsp Coffee Paste

Method:
(1) Put all the bread dough ingredients (except butter) into a mixer or bread machine and beat for about 10 mins till a dough is formed.
(2) Add in butter and continue kneading till a smooth pliable dough is formed.
(3) Roll into a ball , cover and rest for 1 hour.
(4) For toppings: Stir the butter and icing sugar till creamy. Gradually pour in beaten egg and stir till smooth. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and stir till smooth. Fill into a piping bag.
(5) Divide the dough equally into 10 portions. Roll into balls and let it rest for 10 mins.
(6) Wrap dough with the shredded cheese and seal the ends tightly.
(7) Prove for 45-60 mins or till doubled in size.
(8) Pipe topping on top of each buns in a coiling motion.
(9) Bake at 180C for about 10-12 mins. till buns are crispy on top.
(10) Cool on cooling rack.

Post-Mortem (6 Sep 08)
This is how my coffee bun turns out to be. It's still quite soft the next day. Very happy with this bun. :)

5 comments:

Camila said...
October 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Bravo. It looks Yummy. Does it taste like Rotiboy? What kind of cheese did you choosee

Passionate About Baking said...
October 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Hi Camila,
The coffee I used wasn't very strong. So the coffee taste wasn't very outstanding. :p Rotiboy definitely taste better! I used the balance of the mozzarella shredded cheese from my fridge. You should try. Use cheese is easier to wrap than butter. :p

Camila said...
October 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Thank you for the information. I fell in love with Rotiboy when I was in Bali last month. Now I'm in Saudi Arabia. I thought about opening franchise. Rotiboy did not respond. Mama roti franchise cost was really high for me. I thought about buying the recipe of the same quality and then I can work on starting the same concept. If you have any contact to help in this business I'll be gratefull.

Camila said...
October 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Have you ever tried mama roti (from Malaysia)and roti mum from (Singapore)?

Camila said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Have you ever tried mama roti (from Malaysia)and roti mum from (Singapore)?

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!