Birthday Cake #2

Saturday celebration was with LTS' maternal grandparents. Sunday was with their paternal grandparents and cousins. I didn't want to duplicate the same cake even though the "guests" were different. I was getting rather "tired" of making the same cake in two days. So I decided to try a new recipe from a library book I just borrowed - Cake Temptations and other desserts.

I found that the recipes seemed to be rather easy to follow, and looks really good. I was pleasantly pleased when my father-in-law went for a second helping of the coconut cake. Personally, I like it very much too! [One more cake to go!] Pardon my terrible frostings! Fortunately my children and my in-laws are not so fussy about the designs!




Recipe for Coconut Layer Cake, extracted from Cake Temptations and other desserts with my modification.

Ingredients:
Cake
6 Egg whites
95g Caster sugar
6 Egg yolks
110g Plain flour, sieved
50g Desiccated coconut

Coconut fillings
25g Corn flour
250g Milk
4 Egg yolks
50g Castor sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
50g Unsalted butter
40g Desiccated coconut
30g Light sugar syrup
100g + 220g Whipped cream
50g Desiccated coconut, toasted

Method:
1. Grease a 9" round cake pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Whisk egg whites till foamy, add sugar gradually and beat until stiff.
3. Add egg yolks one by one and mix thoroughly.
4. Add in the flour and mix till combined. The batter should be rather stiff.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40mins.
6. Remove from oven and cool.
7. To make coconut filling, mix cornflour, milk and egg yolks in a pot. Add in sugar and cook till thick.
8. Stir in salt, vanilla extract, butter and coconut. Remove from teh stove and set aside to cool.
9. To make sugar syrup, put 15g sugar and 15g water to a small pot over small fire. Stir till the sugar dissolved, off the fire and set aside.
10. Fold in the 100g whipped cream.


Assembly:
1. Cut the cake into 3 layers and moisten each layer with light sugar syrup.
2. Place one cake layer onto the cakeboard and place coconut filling on top.
3. Cover with the second cake layer and repeat.
4. For the final cake layer, frost the whole cake with the remaining 220g whipped cream.
5. Coat the sides with toasted desiccated coconut.
6. Design the top as you wish.
7. Best served chilled.


I hope you'll all love this cake as much as I do! I've never tried a coconut cake before, neither a cake that is as light as this! This is definitely keeper for me!

11 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...
December 14, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Wah! Awesome mum! Baked 2 birthday cakes! If I'm you, I'm sure I will just bake a bigger cake, heehee. Great job! BTW, the 2 cakes looks really yummy!

Passionate About Baking said...
December 14, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Hi HBS,
Thanks for dropping by despite your busy schedule. I'm sure you would have done better than me though! :)

Kitchen Corner said...
December 14, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Hi Jane,
You're so good! Everyone birthday will be blessed by your homemade cake, that's very lovely! God bless you!

tracieMoo said...
December 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM

The cake looks great! Homemade birthday cakes tastes the best :) Great job!

youfei said...
December 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I'm waiting for cake #3! hahaha

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
December 14, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I've never had coconut cake before, but this looks really good. It looks so soft and airy ... almost like scones!

Passionate About Baking said...
December 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Hi Grace,
Thanks! I'm also blessed to be able to bake and practice my skills on my family members! ;)

Hi tracieMoo,
Thanks! I can't agree that homemade birthday cakes are truly made with love and from the heart!

Hi youfei,
Don't. You might be disappointed. :p

Hi Ju,
Thanks! You should try this too! I'm sure you'll like it! Come to think of it, you could be quite right, it does has that "scones" crumbly taste! :p

Anonymous said...
November 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Wow, certainly great topic. How can I find that subscription?

Natasha Swift
bug detectors

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I've never had coconut cake before, but this looks really good. It looks so soft and airy ... almost like scones!

Anonymous said...
December 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM

IF ONLY YOU COULD PUT INGREDIENTS IN AMERICAN MEASURES,I'd love to bake these cakes .. Thank you .

Queen.reichert@comcast.net
Geraldine Reichert Thank you

Passionate About Baking said...
December 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Geraldine, I don't like to use american measurement. I prefer my measurements to be in grams. That's how we do measurement here. If you like, you can do the conversion yourself. Try Gourmet Sleuth website for conversion.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!