Buttermilk Pancakes

It was another Sunday at home with my children. For about a month now, we didn't go to my parents' in-law house for lunch. The kids were home, and we had to prepare lunch. Last minute I didn't want my dosmetic helper to cook "proper" lunch. So I decided to make pancakes instead. I remembered I saw some pancake recipe in some blog. But being last minute, I couldn't find one with buttermilk recipe. In the end, I got one from Joy of Baking instead.

Hmm...why insist on buttermilk? That was because I had a tub of Paul's plain yogurt in the fridge and I wanted to use it up quickly. I read from The Sunday Times quite a while back that food consultant Chris Tan said that buttermilk can be substituted with half plain unsweeten yogurt and half milk. So I tried it out. The pancake turned out to be soft and moist. I spread it with my homemade chocolate banana jam and cut bananas. It was so tasty, and most importantly, I felt rather healthy!


I also baked Rei's Chocolate Pound Cake the day before so as to serve my participants for the Roses Decoration workshop.



Recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes, extracted from Joy of Baking.
(Makes about 5 4-inch pancakes)

Ingredients
140g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Baking soda
¼ tsp Salt
28g Fine sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
240ml Buttermilk (120ml Plain yogurt + 120ml Whole milk, mixed well)
40g Unsalted butter, melted

Extra butter

Method:
1.In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
2.In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter.
3.Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, all at once, and whisk until just combined.
4.The batter should have some small lumps. Do not over mix the batter or the pancakes will be tough.
5.Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter to the heated pan.
6.Scoop about 3 tablespoon of pancake batter onto the pan, and spread it lightly.
7.When the bottoms of the pancakes are brown and bubbles start to appear on the top surfaces of the pancakes turn over. Cook until lightly browned.
8.Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter between batches.
9.Serve immediately with maple syrup, cut fruits (especially banana) or your favorite jam. Or simply squeeze Hershey's chocolate syrup and enjoy!

5 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...
November 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Hi Jane,
I really like to try a piece of the chocolate pound cake. Isn't a rich moist texture? It looks great!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Hi Grace,
Ya, actually the taste was rather good...except I overbeaten the butter and it turned out rather dry. Heehee...I don't know if it's supposed to be moist texture. You try it and let me know? :p

thecoffeesnob said...
November 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Ooh I love pancakes, especially on Sunday mornings. Your kids are soo lucky!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks! I love waffles, but I don't have the maker, else I'll make waffles like you! ;)

Anonymous said...
February 9, 2010 at 3:20 AM

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!