Chocolate Baking Workshop

My baking friends and I had been discussing to have another chocolate baking workshop from one of our ex-instructors. Let's call her LA to retain her privacy. It was agreed that we shall have two chocolate cakes for this workshop-Praline Chocolate Cake and Strawberry Chocolate Cake.

I managed to gather a total of four people for this workshop. Zai, my baking friend, Sharon, who replace my baking buddy Doris, Rachel, my friend and of course, myself. The workshop was conducted at LA's house. I like small group workshops as I found it more personalised. The place was very conducive, and spacious.

This is LA's oven. I like it so much! It's so huge!


LA was slightly too fast for us as we tried to catch up on what she taught. She demonstrated to us the various steps of preparing the ganache, praline, paste, glaze and the sponge cake.

The Amarena Cherries used for our Strawberry Cake.


There were so many steps to making the Praline Chocolate Cake and the Strawberry Chocolate Cake. I think I'll probably make it for special ocassions only. The work involved are just tedious and tremendous! However, the taste was really good.



We got to try the chocolate sponge on its own. The taste was just “OMMPH”! The additional of ground hazelnut really made a difference to the chocolate sponge. I'm sure my baking buddy Doris would have love it! Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the recipe here.




Even though this wasn't a hands-on session, we had fun going through the series of the preparation, and getting to sample the sponge cake and the praline. Despite lots of preparation work, and had to be done over a few days, I'm sure I will try out the recipe real soon!

These are our take-aways!

5 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...
November 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM

WOW Jane! You must have learn a lot from this lesson. The cake looks very luxury. I like the transfer sheet that make the chocolate cake looks gorgeous. I'm wondering how to use it and where can I get this kind of paper. Pls let me know if you are convenient to share it here yea. Thanks a lot!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Hi Grace,
Yes! There sure was a lot of new things to learn boy!
Oh, you can get the transfer sheet from PH. I've seen it, but never used it before. It sure does makes a good cake looks classier isn't it? You just need to cut out the size of how much you require, then put it on top and leave it in the fridge for one day to make it stay. I've personally not tried before, so I don't really know exactly how. When you purchased it at PH, you can check with the staff there, I'm sure they can advise too! Hope this helps.

Evy said...
November 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Chocolate cakes are my all time favourite! :-)
Look so yummy!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Hi Evy,
Oh yes! Me too! Who doesn't like chocolates? Not me! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

WOW Jane! You must have learn a lot from this lesson. The cake looks very luxury. I like the transfer sheet that make the chocolate cake looks gorgeous. I'm wondering how to use it and where can I get this kind of paper. Pls let me know if you are convenient to share it here yea. Thanks a lot!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!