Coffee Sponge Cake

It's been a while since I last baked cakes. I wanted to polish up my skills of baking cakes again. So I tried Alex Goh's traditional sponge cake and added coffee paste to make it coffee sponge cake. I had some caramelised walnuts leftover from last week and some chocolate cream. I wanted to frost the coffee cake.

The coffee sponge cake wasn't well baked. Firstly, I didn't fold in the flours thoroughly. Secondly, the coffee paste wasn't well mixed. The results was a sponge cake with lots of "acnes"! Gee, I spent almost half an hour trying to "take out" the "acnes" from the cake. From a 3" high cake (baked on 7" round cake pan), I cut and removed till 2" high. However, the cake was pretty soft despite all these blunders. This is how my cake looked like after "facial" & "make-over".


9 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...
November 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Hey Jane,
I like coffee flavour desserts especially sponge cake. Your cake looks soft and spongy. I'm looking for a recipe for a birthday man this month. Struggling :(

Passionate About Baking said...
November 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Hi Grace,
The coffee wasn't very strong though. Maybe my coffee paste not good enough.
What does your beloved man likes? See if I can give some suggestions. You might want to start baking the sponge cake to try first so that you know it won't go wrong. What do you have in mind?

Anonymous said...
November 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM

hihi u might wanna see my recipe too? its a coffee cake but not sponge cake. i like it though.. u can try and let me noe if its good :)

Kitchen Corner said...
November 5, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Hi Jane,
He likes everything. May be I'll try out mousse cake with coffee sponge. Have to do the experiment first hehehe... Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 5, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Hi Grace,
It's good to have a man who likes everything! Hahaha...but then again, you'll be in a dilemma as to what to bake. From my baking experience, it's actually quite difficult to bake a coffee sponge cake with strong coffee smell & taste. You might want to try that out first. I really hope your cake will be a success too! All the best!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Hi Missy,
Thanks for your suggestion. I will read it up and try it. Will feedback to you after I try. Thanks! :)

Kitchen Corner said...
November 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Hi Jane,
Thank you so much! That's nice to share with you. I still have another 2 weeks to do the experiments. Let see whether coffee chiffon can works or not. Cheers!

Passionate About Baking said...
November 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM

No worries Grace! I understand your "tight" situation. I have a recipe from Amy Heng called Delicious Cakes. I'll find some coffee or capuccino mousse recipe and send it to you for reference. You have 2 weeks for rehearsal! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...
November 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Wah! So kind of you Jane. I appreciate it.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!