Three Mother's Day Cakes in a weekend!

Out of the three cakes that we had, I made two of them. My hubby came home on Friday with a cake he bought from Bengawan Solo for Mother's Day. I was too quick to add that there wasn't enough space in the fridge as I'll be making two cakes-one for my mum, and the other for my mother-in-law. Suddenly, I realised how ungrateful I was! He was kind enough to buy a mother's day cake for me and there I was complaining about the fridge space! After I realised what I have done, I quickly asked what cake did he get for me. He said it was a chocolate cake. The children were more excited than me. Before we could take a picture of the cake, each of them have already eaten the chocolate decorations! It was a chocolate cake decorated with chocolate pearls. Very nice indeed!

Now back to my cakes. I had wanted to make the Passionfruit and Mango Mousse Cake since I learnt it from a workshop some time back. I followed the recipe carefully and I thought it was really close to the cake I tried last time! This was made for my mum and my family. I thought the cake was pretty well done, except for the mango centrepiece. I couldn't handle the mango well, so the centrepiece was quite horrible!

The sweetness of the chocolate meringue sticks complement the sourness of the passionfruit really well! The coconut dacquoise goes really well with the passionfruit and mango mousse. I sandwiched the mousse with mango. My family liked it very much.


As for my mother-in-law, I made a coffee cake from Nasi Lemak Lover on Saturday, and had it frosted on Sunday morning. I had to bake it earlier as I had to attend a workshop on Sunday. I thought she might like this cake. I was rather surprised when the cake turned out to be quite flat. From her blog, it looks rather high and big, I couldn't achieve the same. I almost wanted to redo the cake. After discussing with Grace, I decided to proceed with the frosting of the cake the following day.

Fortunately I heeded Grace's advice, the size of the cake and the frosting was just nice. I decided to decorate it with chocolate coffee beans, and silver dragees, which is more reflective of Mother's Day. I distributed the cakes to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, so I had no chance to taste it. However, my niece did comment that the cake was soft and the buttercream is really nice. Therefore, this recipe will be a keeper for me! ;)

10 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...
May 12, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Passion fruit and Mango Mousse cake, topped with meringue...wow, very special! Must be yummy too! Your husband is so sweet to buy you a cake...don't worry, I am sure he knows you appreciate his act. :)

Passionate About Baking said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Thanks HBS! Ya, I hope he won't take it to heart! Heehee...

ReeseKitchen said...
May 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM

WOW...very special mango mousse. I want a try..hee hee..;p Yummy!!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
May 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I would be extremely nervous unmoulding that mousse cake, Jane!!! It looks so fragile and you did a perfect job!

Passionate About Baking said...
May 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Hi Reese,
It's more passionfruit than mango actually. The mango are more the fresh pieces to complement the passionfruit. Heehee... Next time, when you pop by Sgp, I'll let you try! ;p

Passionate About Baking said...
May 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hi Ju,
Thanks for leaving a comment despite your busy schedule! I was nervous too! I used a blow torch, couldn't get it out, and I resort to using an offset spatula! :p

Quinn said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM

The mousse cake is so so so beautifully unmoulded. Too bad you picked this from a baking lesson else I would have asked you to share this gorgeous masterpiece recipe for Aaron's birthday end of this month.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Hi Quinn,
Ya, I'm so glad you are so understanding. Wish I could share the recipe too! However, I'm sure you can do some modification to other mousse cakes you find on some food blogs, ya?

Quinn said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

The mousse cake is so so so beautifully unmoulded. Too bad you picked this from a baking lesson else I would have asked you to share this gorgeous masterpiece recipe for Aaron's birthday end of this month.

Honey Bee Sweets said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Passion fruit and Mango Mousse cake, topped with meringue...wow, very special! Must be yummy too! Your husband is so sweet to buy you a cake...don't worry, I am sure he knows you appreciate his act. :)

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!