Pandan Chiffon Cake

I hasn't been quite successful in chiffon cakes..at least not yet. Therefore, when I saw that ieatishootipost posted up his analysis on the Panda Chiffon Cake that he baked, I was determined to followed his recipe and try it out! It's truly not easy to master chiffon cakes. I personally like chiffons because they are so light and I could have a few pieces at a go!

I decided to give it a try on Saturday as I have pandan leaves in the fridge for quite a while. I bought it a week ago, wanting to try it last week, but I didn't get the chance to. Since I don't have any commitments for baking yesterday, I might as well try out the pandan chiffon cake.


I was rather nervous while baking this cake. On one hand, I wanted it to succeed very much, on the other hand, I was worried it won't turn out well. Life's just ironical sometimes. I followed almost according to the recipe and the steps. Finally, it was baked, and cooled. When I cut the chiffon, I was rather happy at the results. Even though it didn't browned too much at the top, sides and bottom, at least the holes were rather uniform, despite having some extra large holes. The chiffon was very light and tasted very good. However, I realised that my chiffon was a bit too moist.

I analysed it and learnt that I should have baked it longer since I only baked it for 56mins at 140C fan oven. I was rather careful with the temperature of my oven as I found that it's hotter than other oven of the same temperature. Another thing to improve is the folding of the meringues as there was some streaks of whites in the chiffon. Overall, it was pretty good-tall, soft and fragrant! I think anyone who likes chiffons (like I do) should try this recipe.


After baking this chiffon, I decided to try another new thing - Chee Cheong Fun. After learning this chee cheong fun last week, I thought it wasn't too difficult to attempt, so I went ahead to buy the necessary materials-cloth, tray and aluminium steamer. Then I started preparing the batter. Cut the necessary ingredients- char siew and spring onions. Then proceeded to make them. Alas, they didn't turn out well! It was either too thick, or they were all broken up while I tried removing them! It wasn't in one piece! Feeling disappointed, I decided not to finish the batter, and stopped after more than an hour struggling with it. By then, I had made quite a number of rolls already. And since I thought it was still edible, I distributed some to my sisters and parents, and kept some for myself. [My family members are very forgiving and they don't mind trying as long as it's edible. That's what families are for! :p]

The next day, Sunday, I decided to pan fried the chee cheong funs. Added some sauce, and topped it with spring onions, fried shallots and chilli sauce. With the condiments and chilli, it tasted rather good though. I was pleasantly surprised! Hmm... I think, sometimes, even though the main dish is not very good, with the addition of condiments or good chilli sauce, it did make the dish taste reasonably good! Therefore, I feel that sauces play an important part in most dishes. They can help to enhance the food, cover up the taste of the food or make the food taste differently, don't you agree?

16 comments:

Dr Leslie said...
May 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Glad the recipe worked! Your cake looks nice and tall!

thecoffeesnob said...
May 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hi Jane. I know exactly how you felt when making this cake but it looks like you had no reason to be nervous at all. It turned out perfect!

By the way, I never knew you could make the noodles for chee cheong fun at home! I'm always just happy to eat them at dim sum restaurants :D

Passionate About Baking said...
May 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Hi Doc,
Thanks! Thanks for sharing your family heirloom recipe! Heehee...

Passionate About Baking said...
May 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks very much for your consolation! I was glad it turned out well wor!
Oh yes, I didn't know I could make the rice roll at home until I learnt at the workshop last week! I'm glad I tried it! :p

ReeseKitchen said...
May 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Very nice chiffon, Jane..:) I also wanted to bake a chiffon tomorrow, wish me luck...heehee..;p
The chee cheong fun...*sigh*..haven't got a chance to try yet. Maybe next 2 days if i can..;)

Passionate About Baking said...
May 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Thanks Reese! Wish you good luck! I'm sure your chiffon will turn out perfect and fantastic! Oh, I was hoping to hear from you about your XO chee cheong fun. Hope you try it and let me know, yah?

Vrinda said...
May 17, 2010 at 6:37 AM

Cake looks perfect...lov the texture...

Passionate About Baking said...
May 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Thanks Vrinda! I love the texture too!

The Pseudo Designer said...
May 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hey your cake looks good. But by moist do you mean a dough-like texture or like kueh? I baked mine at 160C for 55min and it's still not fully baked. And I think my oven is hot too cos the top will get really brown. Have you tried the recipe again with better results?

Passionate About Baking said...
May 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hi Ally,
No, by moist, I meant that the cake was a bit wet, not dry. The texture everything do taste like chiffon though.
What do you mean by not fully baked? What was the texture or the taste you get?
You might want to reduce your temperature by another 20C. I suspect your oven is similar to mine where there is fan.
I've not tried it again even though I wanted to. However, my friends tried it a few times and they have good results all the time!

Ally said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Hey your cake looks good. But by moist do you mean a dough-like texture or like kueh? I baked mine at 160C for 55min and it's still not fully baked. And I think my oven is hot too cos the top will get really brown. Have you tried the recipe again with better results?

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Thanks Vrinda! I love the texture too!

ieat said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Glad the recipe worked! Your cake looks nice and tall!

Jp said...
July 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Hi
I just accidentally know your blog..I m glad I did... The cake s texture is so pretty..Mine is never liked that...always have some air...no matter what I tried...since I love baking chiffon. So lead me here, your blog
Reading thru, and I saw u mentioned if "some1 loves chiffon...should try the recipe here ", but when I click on " here "... It was belonging some other blogger...and he compared 4 difference ones...was wondering wh/ one u tried, and u recommend to use that recipe? Please let me know..I want to try it well...thanks in advance

Passionate About Baking said...
July 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Hi Jp,
Thanks for comments. I tried the "kiannianwong" recipe. If you have time and effort, you might want to try the rest, make a comparision yourself and see which one you preferred. For me, "kiannianwong" recipe was good enough. Wish you success. :)

Jp said...
July 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ty so much my dear....sure, I ll try some of them...but , I don't like too much flour...I may omit that one.
I ve been using mine as 7 white eggs, 60 gr sugar, 1/2 tea COT
6 yolks, 60 gr sugar, 90 ML oil, 142 ML mixture coconut and pandan
150 g CF, 1/4 tea salt
Let me compare the ratio to see what is the different

Thanks again my friend

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!