Chee Cheong Fun Workshop

to all the greatest Mothers!
[This bunch of flowers were given to me by my younger sister! ;)]

I had a great Mother's day today. Doris invited me to a Chee Cheong Fun workshop arranged by her at her place. Due to the confidentiality of the chef, I won't be providing much details of the overall process of this workshop. I arrived at her place early and started to help her and Sharon to prepare the ingredients. There were a lot of ingredients to prepare. It took us almost an hour to get the ingredients ready before the workshop proper.

The workshop included making of the Chee Cheong Fun sauce, the chilli sauce, and the different fillings for the Chee Cheong Fun. We also learnt how to prepare a dessert-Almond paste with White Fungus. I must say, the overall experience and the food was truly fantastic!  I really love all the Chee Cheong Funs and the Almond dessert!

These were on the menu today.
Chee Cheong Fun with Char Siew Fillings and the Chilli sauce.


Chee Cheong Fun with Fried You Tiao with its sauce. Also known as Zhao Leong Cheong Fun.


This is Fried Chee Cheong Fun with XO Sauce. The Chee Cheong Fun was made with dried shrimp, spring onion and fried shallots fillings. The XO Sauce was made by Sharon. This is truly fantastic! I love this very much!


Finally, it was the dessert. This is Almond paste with White Fungus. This is best eaten hot. The Almond was very very thick and smooth. The taste is... PERFECT!  This is very good for the lungs!


Fortunately, Doris baked some multigrain buns to feed us. Otherwise, we might have starved a bit while waiting for the food. The multigrain buns were really soft and good. 


The workshop stretched longer than expected. The chef was very patient in answering our questions and explaining the process in details! We even have some hands-on making the Chee Cheong Fun ourselves!

All thanks to Doris who hosted the workshop and prepared most of the stuff and baking the buns for us! I had a wonderful afternoon, and get to know more friends with the same interest! ;)

9 comments:

thecoffeesnob said...
May 9, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Happy Mother's day, Jane!

Sounds like you had a great one :)

Passionate About Baking said...
May 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks! Yes, I did had a great day!

ReeseKitchen said...
May 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Wa..chee cheong fun! My usual breakfast and sometime during tea time too. I like the "Fried Chee Cheong Fun with XO Sauce"..I never eat this before but I bet its yummilicious! Can I juz buy some chee cheong fun outside then fry it myself? May I know other than the XO sauce, what else do I need? If its not convenient for you to post the ingredients, its ok..no worries..:) Thanks!

Passionate About Baking said...
May 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Hi Reese,
Gee, you're so lucky to have it for breakfast everyday! The Fried Chee Cheong Fun with XO sauce is really very nice. Yes, you can buy the chee cheong fun (ccf) from outside and pan fried it. You need to pan fried it first to "fix" the structure, then fried it with XO sauce. The basic ingredient is the XO sauce already. You can add other sauces like light soy sauce, oyster sauce etc. But the main ingredient is the XO sauce. Then of course, you can add beans sprouts and spring onions like what you see in the picture! Hope you like it! :)

ReeseKitchen said...
May 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Thanks Jane, I'll try it out by this week and let you know my result..:)

Kitchen Corner said...
May 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Hey Jane,
The Chee Cheong Fun looks really delicious! I coulnd't wait to taste it. Please do more practice and prepare to feed me ok :P

Passionate About Baking said...
May 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hi Grace,
Ok, I'll practice. Then I'll make for you. Anything for you my friend!

Kitchen Corner said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hey Jane,
The Chee Cheong Fun looks really delicious! I coulnd't wait to taste it. Please do more practice and prepare to feed me ok :P

young.gourmet said...
November 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Hi! Is Doris still conducting workshops?

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!