Raisin Scones

I got out of bed on Sunday early morning, remembering that we didn't buy breakfast for the kids on Saturday. Flipping through my stacks of unfiled recipes, I was looking for scones. I remembered seeing some easy scones quite sometime back. Finally I found the recipe to bake-Raisin Scones from Fenying.



Recipe for Raisin Scones
Makes 8 2-inch round scones with 1-inch height

Ingredients:
A
250g Self Raising flour
30g Sugar
B
65g Cold hard butter, cubed
C

70g Raisins
D
135g Whole milk
Zest of an orange (original use lemon, I use orange)

* Fresh Milk for brushing top, Sugar for sprinkle

Method:


1) Sieve self raising flour into a bowl, add sugar and mix well.
2) Add cold butter pieces, rub into flour mixture to resembles breadcrumbs.
3) Mix well with raisin.
4) Dig a well in the centre of above mixture, pour in D and mix to form a soft dough.
5) Remove and place on a floured table, roll dough out.
6) Cut into rounds with a 2" cutter and arrange them on a baking tray.
7) Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with some sugar.
8) Bake in pre-heated 200ºC oven for 15 – 18 mins till light brown.
9) Remove and served warm with fruit jam/honey or beaten fresh cream.

17 comments:

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
February 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Waaaah! I love raisins in scones. Believe it or not, I have never baked scones :( Yours looks wonderful!

Zurin said...
February 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM

mmm looks good for breakfast!! I love raisins!

Anonymous said...
February 9, 2010 at 3:20 AM

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Hayley said...
February 9, 2010 at 3:43 AM

delicious and yummy scones..without egg..? love it..tempting..

cheers

Passionate About Baking said...
February 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hi Ju,
You've not baked scones? Aw, then you should try. It's one of the simplest bakes, maybe that's why you've not tried. You would prefer many other complicated bakes and cooks ya?

Passionate About Baking said...
February 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hi zurin,
Yup. When you've ran out of breakfast, this is a quick one to whip up! :)

Passionate About Baking said...
February 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks. Of course you can follow me in twitter, but it's not updated. I'm not aware of the hacker, but thanks for your information!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Hi Jagruti,
Yup, no eggs. You vegetarian? I'm sure you'll like it! Thanks!

Kitchen Corner said...
February 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Hi Jane,
I really wish to have this for my breakfast. It's quite some times I didn't have a good breakfast already :(

Passionate About Baking said...
February 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Hi Grace,
Aw, poor girl. What happened? You should take proper breakfast you know? Hope you had fun when you go back! Take care!

Anonymous said...
February 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM

If there's one breakfast I won't say no to, it'd be scones. I never thought of adding raisins though. I'm sure my mom would love that!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 12, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Hi ovenhaven,
Yup, raisins are truly nice and sweet to a plain scones! Do try it!

Anonymous said...
February 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM

[... ] is other interesting source on this subject[...]

Kitchen Corner said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Hi Jane,
I really wish to have this for my breakfast. It's quite some times I didn't have a good breakfast already :(

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Hi Jagruti,
Yup, no eggs. You vegetarian? I'm sure you'll like it! Thanks!

Jagruti said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM

delicious and yummy scones..without egg..? love it..tempting..

cheers

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Waaaah! I love raisins in scones. Believe it or not, I have never baked scones :( Yours looks wonderful!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!