Baking a Butter Cake

After all the cookies baking, it's time to bake a simple butter cake. I browsed through the recipe files and thought I like one called - Ultimate Butter Cake. This was extracted from Crummb's blog. This blog is owned by Pau Lin, one of the food journalist for The Straits Times. I came to know her by chance, that we were in the same Cake Decorating course last year. However, I didn't have the chance to know her better. It will be good to have gone through the course with her. She was truly a talented lady with passion for baking and decorating. During the practice classes, she was very quick to pick up the techniques for decorating.

She didn't manage to complete the course because she found out that she was expecting! The shuttling between work and course was too hectic for her, so she decided to postpone her course to concentrate on her pregnancy. It was a good decision made! I believe the greatest mother will sacrifice to have a healthy baby! I'm very happy that she has delivered a healthy baby girl now!

Anyway, back to my butter cake. The recipe called for unbleached flour, but I used Pilsbury stoned mill whole wheat flour since I got it from Mustafa some weeks back. I didn't really know how to use the whole wheat flour, except to replace them with plain flour. Using this whole meal flour made the butter cake more browny instead of nice bright butter yellow colour! Nevertheless, the cake turned out to be soft, a bit crumbly and fragrant! Baking it in a bundt pan made it looked prettier!



Also updating my lunch with my spouse at Triple Three. Last December, I brought my son for a treat. I told my spouse about it and he wanted to try the buffet. So I brought him there. This time, I took more desserts than the previous time. The best part of the buffet was the ice-cream counter. I was pleasantly surprised to find the "exotic-ness" of the ice-creams: orange sorbet, pistachio, sesame, saffron pistachio, strawberry and vanilla. I've never try saffron before, so this saffron pistachio caught my eye when I saw it! It was a nice combination for an ice-cream. I really like it! Anyone tried any other exotic combination of ice-cream before? Maybe can share with me?


5 comments:

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
February 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Yes, nothing like a real good butter cake! And yours looks so moist and buttery. Bundt makes everything look instantly prettier, right? You made a lovely cake. I think I might just make one afterwards! He he!

Wishing you and your wonderful family a Happy New Year (and a Happy Valentine's Day too). I'm so glad to have found your blog!

Ju

PS: You must be referring to Teo Pau Lin? :) I don't know her but I do remember reading her articles.

Passionate About Baking said...
February 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Hi Ju,
Thanks very much! I'm also elated to have found your blog! It's so full of expressions and information. I simply love it!
Yup, it's Teo Pau Lin. :p

Zurin said...
February 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

what a lovely butter cake Jane! wishing u and your lovely family a happy New Year..and many many prosperous years and good health ahead!


xxx zurin

Passionate About Baking said...
February 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Hi zurin,
Thanks very much! Happy holidays to you too!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Yes, nothing like a real good butter cake! And yours looks so moist and buttery. Bundt makes everything look instantly prettier, right? You made a lovely cake. I think I might just make one afterwards! He he!

Wishing you and your wonderful family a Happy New Year (and a Happy Valentine's Day too). I'm so glad to have found your blog!

Ju

PS: You must be referring to Teo Pau Lin? :) I don't know her but I do remember reading her articles.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!