Early Reunion

Reunion dinner always come earlier for my family with my parents. This year, it's one Saturday before the CNY eve. Long long time ago, we would have gone back to my mum's house for steamboat dinner. However, since their grandchildren have grown up, there was just not enough tables to accomodate all of us. Therefore, we have started venturing out to restaurants, having to book two tables:10 + 5. These are the usual restaurants that we visit- Beng Hiang or Prima Revolving. This year, we headed to Tung Lok at The Arena. Dad always pick up the tab. ;)

We ordered some dishes and their Peng Cai (盆菜). It came with a very nice claypot. There were just more than enough to feed all of us. In fact, we couldn't finish the Peng Cai and mum has to bring back the leftovers!



I also baked a cake to celebrate my sister's birthday. For my family, we've always have the habit to celebrate one another's birthday. We used to buy cakes, until lately when I started baking, it's becoming an unspoken rule that I will bake a cake for them.

I offered to bake a Chocolate Fudge cake for her as I like this cake very much. The cake is soft and moist, and the fudge is chocky and creamy. I did some frostings on the cake. Can you make out what it was on top of the cake after my steaming? Queer isn't it?



Unfortunately, when we were at the restaurant, my son accidentally dropped the cake container! And the cake was in a total mess!! :"(  However, my family members were very kind. They said that this was a new creation - Earthquake cake! That's how family members can be, always comforting! My birthday sister didn't even mind a bit! She was happily cutting and eating the cake. They liked the cake very much. I was glad the "earthquake" didn't change their perspective of the taste of the cake!  Happy birthday to my dear sister, Irene!

10 comments:

missy said...
February 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM

wow. u can never go wrong with chocolate cakes! ur cake here looks so delicious after the fudge topping. yumm!

have a great new yr!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...
February 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM

The pencai looks fantastic! And Earthquake & Landslide cake is an original. You're so sweet to bake it for your sis. :)

Zurin said...
February 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM

When it comes to chocolate ill lick it even off the floor...so earth quake or not its got to be good..! happy Chinese New Year to you and your family!!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hi missy,
You're right. How many of us don't like chocolates? It can never go wrong with chocolates! Wish you a happy lunar new year too!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Hi Ju,
Ah yes, the peng cai is good. And so is the landslided cake! Hahaha...Thanks!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hi zurin,
Woah! You're such a big chocolate fan! Ya, I think earthquake made it even nicer! Thanks for your well wishes! You have a good holiday too!

Honey Bee Sweets said...
February 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Wah! Your special chocolate cake looks very decant and sinful! Have a wonderful Chinese New Year Jane! ;)

Passionate About Baking said...
February 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Hi HBS,
Thanks! Wishing you a happy lunar new year also!

thecoffeesnob said...
February 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Sounds like you guys had a feast! And that chocolate cake still looks delicious despite the unfortunate drop it took.

Passionate About Baking said...
February 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks very much! We sure had a big feast! :)

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!