Valentine's Feast


It was "entertainment" at home on Valentine's Day again. It was yet another feast. I hope I didn't sound like boasting, but I did a 6-course dinner on Valentine's Day for our family friends. Actually, it's really achievable if you "renouned" the world, and roped in the help of whoever at home. A lot of food can be prepared way before the actual day. For example, desserts, crust doughs, puff pastries etc.

I think I was quite ambitious also, to bake lunch for my family members despite having to prepare a feast for dinner. Okay, I managed to make chicken burger for lunch for all. I baked the hamburger buns, which fortunately was finished up during lunch, otherwise, it would have been stone-hard the next day! Hahaha... I made the chicken patties, and the herb butter mayo to accompany the burger. I'm so glad it was a "SOLD OUT"! Another good decision made for lunch. :p


Here were my 6-course Valentine's Dinner for family & friends.

1. Appetiser 1: Garlic & Herbs Bread
Tasked my hubby & Aloysius to use heart-shaped & bear cookie cutters to cut out the bread pieces for garlic & herbs spread. I mix (salted) butter with chopped rosemary and minced garlic. Then toast them. I like these very much.

I also prepared some greens (salads). As I only had butterhead lettuce, I added some olives, raisins and pinenuts too! I made my own dressings by mixing olive oil with balsamic vinegar, and some sugar & a pinch of salt. Then topped the greens with some parmesan cheese.


2. Appetiser 2: Cauliflower & Potato Gratin
Discussed with my sister after last week's bake. I came to realise that it's called Gratin. Great. Same as last week, baked this for dinner as requested by my hubby & Aloysius.


3. Main Course 1: Rosemary Salmon Olive Oil Baked Rice
As I bought a lot of whole salmon over these two weeks, I was rather "generous" with my salmon. ;p I poached salmon in red wine, and shredded them to get flakes. I cooked my rice with garlic, onions, french beans, button mushrooms, rosemary, olive oil and finally added salmon. This was quite bland and most of them didn't like it and found it to be tasteless. I thought olive oil would have been quite nice. Lesson learnt: must add add salt or light soy sauce for better tasting baked rice! ;)


4. Main Course 2: Chicken & Mushrooms Puff Pastry Pies
This was most people's favourites! So was mine! ;) The base crust is normal, while the top is covered and baked with puff pastry. Romantic me had to cut and add heart-shaped to the top to give it some ambience of Valentine's Day! Hahaha... At least they were noticable!




5. Dessert 1: Egg White Brownies
Previously, Aloysius said he didn't get to eat this brownie. So I baked it again (the night before) since I still have egg whites left. This time, I used walnuts instead of almonds. It's as nice. I like it too!


6. Dessert 2: Blueberries Panna Cotta
I was complatemping between panna cottas and creme brulees. Finally, I decided on panna cottas as it was slightly easier compared to creme brulees because I don't have to caramelise the sugars! I followed Yochana's recipe and used Blueberries instead of Raspberries as they were abundance now. This was the first time I tried making this, and I really like it! My friends love it too! One of them said it was "exotic" and tasted something like tiramisu. (huh??)


As usual, with this group of friends, they enjoyed drinking red wines. Over five hours, they finished 5 bottles of wines among mainly three males (including my hubby). I had to borrow X-box from my father-in-law so as to keep the children entertained, otherwise, I don't know how else to entertain them! As they enjoyed their wine, my "bak kwa" also finished! That was the finger food for them. It was fun baking for me, while they had fun eating & drinking, and for the kids, it was playing! ;)

Seriously, before preparing any food, careful planning has to take place, and preparation actually start way before the actual day. So, really, if I can achieve this, I'm sure everyone else can! :))

15 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...
February 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Hi Jane,
I shall say, you really can cook! I believe you've a wonderful Valentine's day!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Hi Grace,
Thanks! All these are just simply "into the oven it goes"! I didn't really cook though. ;)

Yuri said...
February 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Well done, admire your patience and effort, really!

Carrie said...
February 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM

wow! U're amazing! How I wish I was on the invitation list! Hehe!

Cheerios!

quizzine said...
February 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM

wow, really 'pei fu' your skills to churn out so many wonder-looking dishes in a day! Looking at them make me so hungry...
Cheers,

Passionate About Baking said...
February 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hi Yuri, Carrie & quizzine,
Thank you very much for all your compliments. Actually, it's really achievable if you don't have to do other stuff. I have my hubby & domestic helper to do other stuff for me, so I'm FREE to just concentrate on my bakings. ;)

thecoffeesnob said...
February 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM

SIX courses! Wow! I really don't know how you do it and have everything turn out so fantastic. I'm ashamed to admit that doing any more than two things at a time in the kitchen completely messes me up.

Happy belated V day, Jane!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks! Hmm...I really think everyone can manage as long as proper planning and preparation has been done. I've got helpers, you don't. Otherwise, I think you can manage it too! :)

Elyse said...
February 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Wow! I am so impressed. You pulled off a big one--and it all looks delicious! Lucky crowd!

Tiny bakery said...
February 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

wowwwww

i wanna have full course of your feast!!

Anonymous said...
February 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Urms..do you mind sharing with me your Potato Gratin and Chicken Pie and Baked Rice Recipe>< my msn is freakharts@hotmail.com >< you can add me or email me the recipe xD>< ty....And Happy V Days!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Hi Elyse & Tiny bakery,
Thank you for your compliments. These were really simple food that can be prepared way ahead! I'm sure it is achievable for anyone! ;)

Tiny bakery said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM

wowwwww

i wanna have full course of your feast!!

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hi Laureen,
Thanks! Hmm...I really think everyone can manage as long as proper planning and preparation has been done. I've got helpers, you don't. Otherwise, I think you can manage it too! :)

WOW Gold Buy said...
February 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Very cool. I take advantage of the job interviews. Thanks for having one of these website RS Gold Buy Diablo III items

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!