B for Chiffons


Did I get my letters right? No question about it. For two consecutive evenings, I baked B Chiffons- Banana Chocolate Chiffon Cake and Blueberries Chiffon Cakes. They turned out great!

For Banana Chocolate Chiffon, I reduced the egg yolks to two only and used all the egg whites. I'm quite daring to do that now.


This was the first time my chiffon is browned through out after I unmould it. It is kind of an achievement for me!



Recipe for Blueberry Chiffon Cake, extracted from Kevin's Chiffon Cake is Done (with my modification).
Ingredients:
Egg yolk batter

1 egg yolk*
40ml corn oil
125g Fresh Blueberries smashed**
30g caster sugar^
80g self raising flour

Egg white foam
120g egg whites (approx. 4 nos.)
1/2tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar

Method:
1. To make egg yolk batter, combine egg yolk, oil, blueberries and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Fold in flour until forms batter.
3. To make egg white foam, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks.
4. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold beaten egg white foams into egg yolk batter until thoroughly blended.
6. Pour batter into ungreased 7" tube pan. Bake in preheated oven at 170C (@) for 35mins or until cooked.
7. Remove from oven, invert cake onto wire rack until completely cooled.

Notes:
* Original recipe uses 4 egg yolks. I used 1 because I want the cake to be really soft & fluffy. Using 4 will be equally good.
** Original was 80g blueberry filling and 2 tbsp milk. I omitted the milk because after smashing the blueberries, there were some liquid. I used the whole punnet of blueberries. Actually, 80g might be enough too.
^ Original was 40g caster sugar. I didn't reduced too much as the blueberries were a little sour. You can taste the blueberries first before deciding on the amount of sugar to be used.
@ I used fan oven to bake, therefore, the temperature was set at 150C instead. If normal bake oven without fan, it should be 170C then.


This is a very healthy chiffon cake as there was no chemical added. Extracts were not used too.

8 comments:

youfei said...
February 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Hi Jane!

Seeing your bakes really itches me to bake like mad!!!

haha..beautiful chiffons there =)

regards,
youfei

Elyse said...
February 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Oh man, this combination sounds lethal! How delicious! And the best part is, the chiffon cake is so light and fluffy that you don't feel nearly as guilty eating this delicious treat!

Kitchen Corner said...
February 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Wow! Jane, you could write your own recipe already. It turn out really nice! There are yummy and healthy as its contain little egg yolks in there. Good job!!

Passionate About Baking said...
February 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Hi youfei,
Please try since I've already put up the recipe! Let me know the outcome. :p

Hi Elyse,
I completely agree with you! That is why I love to bake chiffons even though I failed so many times! It's just so light & fluffy!

Hi Grace,
Hahaha! I'm not so good yet! I'm only modifying from Kevin's book. Just trial & error! Not till to write my own recipe lah! ;) I wish boy!

youfei said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Hi Jane!

Seeing your bakes really itches me to bake like mad!!!

haha..beautiful chiffons there =)

regards,
youfei

Elyse said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Oh man, this combination sounds lethal! How delicious! And the best part is, the chiffon cake is so light and fluffy that you don't feel nearly as guilty eating this delicious treat!

Jessie said...
March 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

:) I've tried this today and its a lovely lovely cake. Your measurements are all perfect.

passionbaker said...
March 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Thanks Jessie for testifying the recipe. I'm glad it turns out well for you too!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!