Did I get my letters right? No question about it. For two consecutive evenings, I baked B Chiffons- Banana Chocolate Chiffon Cake and Blueberries Chiffon Cakes. They turned out great!
For Banana Chocolate Chiffon, I reduced the egg yolks to two only and used all the egg whites. I'm quite daring to do that now.
This was the first time my chiffon is browned through out after I unmould it. It is kind of an achievement for me!
Recipe for Blueberry Chiffon Cake, extracted from Kevin's Chiffon Cake is Done (with my modification).
Egg yolk batter
1 egg yolk*
40ml corn oil
125g Fresh Blueberries smashed**
30g caster sugar^
80g self raising flour
Egg white foam
120g egg whites (approx. 4 nos.)
1/2tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar
1. To make egg yolk batter, combine egg yolk, oil, blueberries and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Fold in flour until forms batter.
3. To make egg white foam, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks.
4. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold beaten egg white foams into egg yolk batter until thoroughly blended.
6. Pour batter into ungreased 7" tube pan. Bake in preheated oven at 170C (@) for 35mins or until cooked.
7. Remove from oven, invert cake onto wire rack until completely cooled.
* Original recipe uses 4 egg yolks. I used 1 because I want the cake to be really soft & fluffy. Using 4 will be equally good.
** Original was 80g blueberry filling and 2 tbsp milk. I omitted the milk because after smashing the blueberries, there were some liquid. I used the whole punnet of blueberries. Actually, 80g might be enough too.
^ Original was 40g caster sugar. I didn't reduced too much as the blueberries were a little sour. You can taste the blueberries first before deciding on the amount of sugar to be used.
@ I used fan oven to bake, therefore, the temperature was set at 150C instead. If normal bake oven without fan, it should be 170C then.
This is a very healthy chiffon cake as there was no chemical added. Extracts were not used too.