Baking one 9" & two 3" tube pans. I used the lowest rack.
One of the mini chiffon cake. Very nice brown.
The 9" chiffon cake. Very nice & even on the surface.
Turned the 9" chiffon cake upside down. Also very nice brown.
The holes on the chiffon cake is rather even.
"Do-Re-Mi" sizes of my orange chiffon cakes.
I'm very satisfied with the quality of these chiffon cakes that I baked. It's very fragrant and refreshing, due to the orange taste. I added orange zest too! Recipe is extracted from Yochana's Orange Chiffon Cake.
My modified version:
3 egg yolks (small eggs)
80g Orange juice
85g corn oil
1/2 tsp Orange extract/essence
1 - 2 tsp Orange zests
150g Cake flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
6 egg whites
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
(1) Whisk all the ingredients (A) together.
(2) Pour (A) into (B) and mix till smooth.
(3) Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy then gradually pour in sugar and whisk till stiff peak.
(4) Scoop a third of egg whites and into mixture (2) and fold them together.
(5) Pour the mix in (4) into the remaining egg whites and fold them thoroughly and quickly.
(6) Pour into a 9" tube pan, and some remaining batter into a 3" tube pan.
(7) Bake at 180c for about 45mins or till cake is cooked through. Smaller tube pan will take about 20-25mins.
(8) Overturn cake (still in the pan) onto a wire rack and leave it to cool down completely.
(9) Remove cake from tube pan and slice.
Note: Can reduce the egg whites to 5 nos.
[Afternote: My colleague told me that for 9" chiffon cake, the baking time has to be at least 45mins. I had underbaked, which resulted in my "holes" at the top not very evenly spread, which was too closed. So 7" tube pan will be 35mins baking time. Now I understand why.]