I like to eat chicken pies. However, to make a good wholesome pie, it takes too much time to bake for myself. My children are temperamental, sometimes they eat a lot, sometimes they don't like. It's so difficult to please them. Anyway, when I invited my parents and sister with her family for dinner, I decided to make just chicken pies. Initially, I wanted to order pizza home delivery. However, on second thoughts, I decided to bake instead, since I have the time to do so. I've made many chicken pies over the years. Usually, they are made by estimation. However, I decided to include recipe in this post. The pie crust which I used - The Pie and Pastry Bible was really flaky and crispy. (I used the leftover dough to make egg tarts). It was so good my dad decided to bring back some after the dinner. I made two trays, just enough for 11 persons.
(Make 2 recipes for the chicken fillings below)
214g Plain flour
7g Distilled vinegar (or cider vinegar)
52-66g Ice water
1/8tsp Baking powder (optional. I didn't add this)
- Place flour, salt and optional baking powder in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Add butter and use a pastry cutter to to mix them until resembles coarse meal.
- Add the vinegar, followed by some ice water. Mix well with spatula. Then gently use your fingertips to mix them together. Add more water if necessary. Do not add all the water at once. I used only 50g ice water.
- Refrigerate for at least 45mins, preferably overnight.
- Heat up a large wok.
- Add olive oil, followed by garlic after the oil is hot.
- When the garlic is fragrant, add in onion first. When it's caramelised, add in the chicken fillet. Stir fried it till half cooked, then add in potatoes.
- Followed by mixed vegetables and mushrooms. Add in rosemary, salt and black pepper.
- Let it cook for a while and add in Prego sauce. (I also added some chicken stock. However, it will make the mixture too wet. You may omit this.)
- Simmer for another 3-4mins, turn the heat off.
7. Finally, place a few pieces of the puff pastry to cover the top.