Cocoa Marble Chiffon Cake

Recently, I was in the mood to bake chiffon cakes. Inspiration continued from my last chiffon. I baked a pandan chiffon earlier but it didn't turn out well because my oven was too cold, which resulted my chiffon cake with a waist and a layer of starch was formed.


I shared with my transport mate the chestnut chiffon, and she was very kind to loan me her chiffon recipe book called: 戚风蛋糕零失败by曾美子. This recipe book is very interesting. It mixed egg whites with egg yolk batter and flour separately. The title of this book means "Chiffon cake zero failure" in direct translation whereas the English title for this book is Super Chiffon Cake.
chiffon_book01

As it is, the chiffon cake which I tried from this recipe was really soft and nice. However, when making this recipe, you need to use a lot of bowls. A bit troublesome though. It's interesting to learn another method of baking chiffon cakes. Try it and you'll know what I mean.
chiffon_cocoa04
Recipe for Cocoa Marble Chiffon Cake, adapted from 戚风蛋糕零失败by曾美子.
(Makes a 8" tube pan)


Ingredients
6.5”
8”
A
Egg yolks
Caster sugar
3
30g
5
50g
B
Vegetable oil
Water
Vanilla extract
Brandy/Rum
50g
50g
1/2tps
10g
80g
80g
1tsp
15g
C
Egg whites
Caster sugar
Salt
5
60g
pinch
7
90g
pinch
D
Top flour
Baking powder
70g
2g
105g
3g
E
Cocoa powder
Hot water
10g
15g
15g
20g

Method:

1. Beat ingredients A until light yellow.
2. Place ingredients B in a bowl and placed into another bowl of hot water to heat up till 38C. I heat them up in microwave oven for about 10secs to warm it up.
3. Slowly pour into ingredients A and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt. Then slowly add in caster sugar in three batches until stiff peak.
5. Sift ingredients D two to three times.
6. Mix ingredients E.
7. Mix ingredients C and D alternatively into ingredients A - Egg whites, flour, egg whites, flour and egg whites.
8. Scoop out a quarter of #7 batter into ingredients E. Mix well.
9. Then pour the batter from #7 into the prepared tube pan.
10. Scoop out the chocolate batter and drop them into the tube pan. Using a chopstick, swirl the chocolate batter into the original batter without mixing them.
chiffon_cocoa01
11. Bang the tube pan on the table top to remove any big bubbles.
12. Bake it into preheat fan oven of 180C for 45mins.
chiffon_cocoa02 chiffon_cocoa03 chiffon_cocoa05 chiffon_cocoa06

Note: I had overbeaten my egg whites, resulted in bigger holes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!