I've tried a Mille Crêpe cake from Moonlight previously and like the taste. So I decided to make this cake for my mum. The tedious work is in making the thin crepe. I was able to make it first, then keep them in individual layer in the fridge, and frost them later. My cake didn't turn up tall, they were shorter because I made a 7" cake instead of the 6" as I do not have a 6" frying pan.
My crêpes were not very thin, therefore, it was a little on the tough side when eaten. Also, I think it will be better with fresh cream, though the cream cheese was nice too. I'm not sure if I will try this cake again...I might just buy from the bakery when I feel like eating!
Recipe for Yuzu Cream Cheese Mille Crêpe Cake, adapted from Cook.Bake.Love.
(Makes a 7" cake)
560g Whole milk
3 tbsp LIV unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
210g Plain flour
1x Cream Cheese frosting recipe
1. Mix (A) and sift in (B), mix well (you can use a blender to blend everything till smooth too). Strain the batter and let it rest for at least 30 mins.
2. Heat a 7" non-stick pan over medium low heat until hot. Butter the pan and add batter to the center of the pan. Then use a ladle to scoop out the batter and quickly swift the batter around to fill the bottom of the pan. Pour away excess batter (save for next crepe), if any.
3. When the crepe no longer appears wet on top it's ready to flip. Use a silicone spatula to peel up an edge then carefully use fingers and spatula to peel away and flip the crepe and continue to fry for a few seconds (it should take much lesser time than the first side).
4. Repeat till all batter is finished. Stir the batter once in a while before pan frying.
5. As I didn't assemble immediately, I cut out plastic bags and layer each crepe between the plastics and kept them in the fridge.
6. Before assembly, remove the crepes from the fridge.
7. Spread Yuzu jam on the first crepe thinly, followed by cream cheese.
8. Cover with another piece of crepe and repeat. Continue layering, saving the best-looking crepe for the top layer. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
9. My crepe cake has 17 layers.