Having made a Cocoa Marble Chiffon Cake from this book - 戚风蛋糕零失败by曾美子, I decided to try another recipe from here. I concluded after I tried the Coconut Chiffon Cake that her recipe produced chiffon cakes that are a bit "kueh-like" texture, which I don't really like. I have to admit that for both her recipe, I overbeated the egg whites a little. Comparing her recipe to the rest of the chiffons I have tried, I found that the liquid content was a bit too high, eg. vegetable oil 80g vs 40g, overall liquid was 170g (excluding egg yolks) to 150g. Therefore, I will give this recipe book a miss for good. However, you may try it and see if you agree with me, or perhaps you can produce a better chiffon than I do. :p Recipe for Coconut Chiffon Cake, adapted from 戚风蛋糕零失败by曾美子. (Makes a 8" tube pan) Ingredients:
A -5 Egg yolks, 40g Caster sugar
B - 90g Coconut cream, 80g Vegetable oil
C - 6 Egg whites, 70g Caster sugar, Pinch of salt
D - 80g Top flour, 3g Baking powder, 30g Dessicated coconut (or 40g Coconut powder)
1. Beat ingredients A until light yellow.
2. Place ingredients B in a bowl and placed into another bowl of hot water to heat up till 38C. I heat them up in microwave oven for about 10secs to warm it up.
3. Slowly pour into ingredients A and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt. Then slowly add in caster sugar in three batches until stiff peak.
5. Sift ingredients D two to three times.
6. Mix ingredients C and D alternatively into ingredients A - Egg whites, flour, egg whites, flour and egg whites.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan.
8. Bang the tube pan on the table top to remove any big bubbles.
9. Bake it into preheat fan oven of 180C for 45mins.
10. Overturn the pan and let it cool completely before removing it.
Do a search on "Aurora Borealis" and you'll get a lot of results. Let me just point you to this link, and I will quote from th...
My passion is in baking. My dream is to have my own bakery. I've attended numerous workshops and courses. I've attained a Certificate in Professional Baking, Certificate in Cake Decoration and Certificate in Wedding Cake Decoration. I love to learn more about baking, and experience different recipes. I've also started embarking in teaching in baking, and I hope to share my experiences with people who has the same passion as me.
Check out PALATABLE, the blog I set up for my workshops and sales of cakes.