Still on my chiffon baking frenzy, I decided on a nice flavour - Lavender. Lavender was very mild and a very subtle zesty taste from the lemon zest. I like the flavour very much, not too overwhelmed. If too much lavender, then it might seemed like lotion taste. Try this, I'm sure you'll like it too.
Recipe for Lavender Chiffon Cake
(Makes a 8" tube pan)
5 Egg yolks
20g Caster sugar
90g Whole milk
50g Cooking oil
1 tsp Dried Lavender
Zest from one Lemon
120g Self-raising flour
5 Egg whites
70 Caster sugar
1 tsp Corn flour
- In a heatproof bowl, microwave dried lavender with milk for about 20secs at high heat. This is to bring out the fragrance of the lavender. Leave aside.
- Mix egg yolks with sugar till light yellow.
- Add in salt, lavender with milk and cooking oil. Mix well.
- Sift in self-raising flour and mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites till foamy.
- Mix in corn flour into caster sugar. Gradually add in the sugar into the egg whites till soft peaks.
- Take one-third of the egg whites and fold into the egg yolk batter.
- Continue to fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk batter in two batches.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan. Bang it hard onto the table top.
- Bake at preheated oven of 180C for 45mins.
- Remove from the oven and invert the cake until completely cooled.
- Cut and served. Can be served chilled.