Durian Tarts

With the leftover puff pastries after making the Portuguese egg tarts, and the leftover durian fillings from the durian puffs I made for the bloggers POP, I decided to do a combination of both! I knew that if I did not use them up quickly, I'll probably keep them until they turned mouldy!

I must admit that the initial durian fillings baking in the oven really stink the kitchen! However, after a while, when the puff pastry started baking, the nice aroma filled the kitchen instead. Ummph...
The verdict? The durian filling tasted really good in the puff pastry crust! The durian fillings were still soft and moist. In fact, it's even better than the egg tarts!
My durian fillings were made for the durian puffs previously. Through my previous experience of making durian fillings, I realised that the most ideal ratio will be 5:1 durian to whipping cream. Measure the whipping cream before whipping. Having this ratio means you get to taste more of the durian pulps, at the same time, the whipped cream makes it creamy. Previously, I used to add honey to the fillings too. However, I found that keeping the real and original taste of the good durians were very important.
These were the durian puffs which I made for my dad's party two weeks ago. There were 160 mini puffs in all! They were "sold out" within minutes after I brought them out!

10 comments:

Happy Home Baker said...
August 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Your durian tarts and durian puffs look so good! Thanks for the tip on the durian to cream ratio, will love to try making durian puffs one of these days :)

All the best to your boy for the PSLE, one down, and a few more to go, cheers!

passionbaker said...
August 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Thanks HHB. You should try durian puffs. Thanks again. Two down, and five more to go! 加油 to myself too!

jo said...
August 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Oooh durian! I am still thinking about your durian puffs.

passionbaker said...
August 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Thanks Jo! Glad that you like it. :)

Precious Moments said...
August 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

first is durian puff, now it is durian tarts.. Jane jane... you are definitely making me drool

busygran said...
August 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Durian is my all-time favourite fruit. Wouldn't pass up anything
durian like your tarts!
Wow! read about the POP meet. I was drooling over the pics!

passionbaker said...
August 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Edith, you still have your secret "weapon" in your freezer! I'm sure you can whip up yummy durian product anytime! :)

passionbaker said...
August 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Hi Judy. Thanks for dropping by! Has been a while since we last met! Thanks for your compliment!

Unknown said...
February 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Do you have any classes for me to attend to learn the some skill and recipe for the durian mini puff and durian pancake?

Passionate About Baking said...
February 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Hi Wei Ang,
There are no classes planned for now. Will update you once I have classes. Thank you for your interest.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!