Orange Butter Cake

If you noticed, I've been rather slow lately in my posts, and my response to comments. Apologised for the delay. I have been busy at work, and a lot of personal commitments. With the school holidays coming, there'll even be more delays in updating my blog! However, rest assured that I'll still be reading through all your blogs and keep updated with your bakings, except that I might not put my comments, or will be slow in putting comments. I thanked my blogger friends or friends for being so patient with me. :)

Anyway, this is another of my delayed post. It was my helper's birthday earlier this month. During her birthday, I didn't bake any cake for her, nor buy her any cake. Since she was going to have a belated celebration with her friends last Sunday, I decided to make a simpler cake for her. Initially, I wanted to bake a small whole cake. Somehow, I changed my mind, and decided on cupcake sizes instead.

I used Alex Goh's "Lemon Butter Cake" recipe. However, I replaced it with orange, reduced the sugar by 30%, and omitted the glacing. But I used chocolate fudge to frost some of the cupcakes instead. Chocolate fudge frosting is truly unnecessary as this cake is flavourful by itself. I found this butter cake to be very light and soft. The tangy orange taste and aroma from the cake is very strong. I like it very much though.
Recipe for Orange Butter Cake, modified from "Fruity Cakes by Alex Goh".
(Makes approximately 17 cupcake-sized cakes)

Ingredients:
(A)
250g Plain flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
250g Unsalted butter
(B)
4 Eggs
140g Fine Sugar
(C)
50g Orange juice
1 Orange zest

Method:
1. Cream (A) until smooth and fluffy.
2. Whip (B) until sugar dissolves and thickens. (Ribbon stage).
3. Add (B) into (A) and beat until well blended and smooth. Add (C) and mix well.
4. Pour the batter into silicone mould. (I used a 5-domed shape and 6-pyramid shape silicone moulds and a 6-pc muffin tray)
5. Bake at 180C for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and unmould. Set aside to cool.
(Psst, I get comments that this looks like some charcoal buns. Do you think I can pass this off as one?)

7 comments:

NEL, the batter baker said...
October 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Your frosting is done really nicely! And the texture of the cake looks moist and fluffy. Interesting how the butter is creamed with flour. Never tried that before. Must go try now :)

Passionate About Baking said...
October 28, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Hi NEL,
Thanks! Yes, the butter is creamed with flour, very interesting right? I didn't bother to sieve though. Hehe... Even so, it can be creamed till fluffy and light. The rest of the steps are also very simple. Do try it and let me know if you like it.

busygran said...
October 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM

The cake looks soft and moist and golden. I like the squarish yet roundish cupcake moulds.

Bakericious said...
October 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Jane, your frosting is great but is true that the color made the cupcakes look like charcoal buns :p but the cake still looks soft and fluffy. I had baked orange butter cake too but using whole orange to boil instead. This recipe looks interesting of creaming the butter with flour, shd give it a try.

ReeseKitchen said...
October 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Orange butter cake is the one I haven't give it a try yet. I wanted to but there were always demands on the plain one..;p
I like the one without choc topping...heehee!

Kitchen Corner said...
October 29, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Hey Jane, I think you are absolutely NOT as slow as me for posting up your products. I find myself even worst! When I've energy to bake, then not enough energy to blog about it. I think all the back post could accumulate to 2012 :P
Well, talk about your butter cakes. It looks quite fluffy! No doubt, it had a wonderful aroma. There are some unique shape of cakes, I like that one!

Passionate About Baking said...
October 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the lovely comments.

Reese,
Aiyo. You just have too many flavours to try right? I thought orange is a very popular flavour? :p

Grace,
You have many good excuses not to update your blog! Hahaha... Yes, I've made orange cake quite often, so I thought using different moulds can make it more interesting to eat, do you agree?

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!