Beancurd with Barley Dessert

Recently, I have a liking for this dessert - Beancurd with Barley (Fu Chok Tong Shui). It started because one of my colleague only takes this dessert. I tried it once with her, and I like it very much. So I decided to learn how to make it. It's really easy. I think it's easier than Tau Suan. I've bought the bean curd sheets quite sometime back, and didn't get to do it till Sunday morning.
Recipe for Beancurd with Barley Dessert (Fu Chok Tong Shui), modified from "dim sum mini cookbook series".

Ingredients:
150g Bean curd sheets, soaked to soften and drained
75g Barley
45g Gingko nuts
125g Rock sugar
1.5kg Water
2 Eggs, lightly beaten

Method:
1. Cut soaked bean curd sticks into shorter lengths and place in a (thermal pot's) pot.
2. Add all other ingredients except eggs.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30mins*.
4. Pour in the egg into the soup in a slow steady stream and stir in a single directoin to form thin ribbons.
5. Turn off the heat and place it in the thermal pot to let it continue heating.

* Note:
~ If you don't use thermal pot, then let it simmer for at least 1hr 30mins, until the beancurd breaks up. After 1.5 hours in the thermal pot, the beancurds broke up till very fine.
~ I used egg whites as I have abundance of them in the fridge.
~ I used a mixture of Holland and China barleys.
~ You may adjust the rock sugar according to your liking.

7 comments:

Suhaina said...
October 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM

looks good. never tried it before..yumm.

WendyinKK said...
October 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

this is one of my favourites since young!!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...
October 15, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I like this dessert very much too. It is a good idea to use thermal pot to cook this dessert.

Sometimes I will "cheat" by adding add soya milk to achieve the creamy soup.

ReeseKitchen said...
October 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I like this too. Actually its my favourite compare with other tong sui..:) I usually cook it with soyabean, super nice...;D

Passionate About Baking said...
October 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Hi Angel and Reese,
I was also told soya bean can be added. Now I know why some places, they sell this not in clear soup, but creamy soup. I shall try it with soya bean next time. I believe it will taste better! Thanks for sharing too! :)

Sharon said...
October 18, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Hi Jane,

After seeing this tong shui pic, I tell myself that I must make this by this week.

Passionate About Baking said...
October 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Sharon,
I'm sure yours is much better than what I had. :P You must be expert in such tong shui. ;p

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!