All Kinds of Bakes

This week, I baked quite a lot of stuffs. However, I didn't get the chance to post them up mainly because I was really busy, a bit of lazy too! As my dad has a function on Sunday, he requested me to make the durian puffs again for his function. I made that last year and it was really very well received! As I have quite a lot of time on hand, I've decided to prepare more food for the function.


Besides durian puffs, I also made Chocolate Rice Krispies and Mini Apple Cinnamon Muffins. The Chocolate Rice Krispies wasn't very nice though as the rice krispies were a bit chewy. Fortunately the chocolate that was with it tasted good. So, there were no complaints.



I've tried this muffin recipe previously and I used it again for Apple Cinnamon. I remembered how I had my first apple cinnamon muffin from Muffin Break when I was in Melbourne more than a decade ago. To me, it was the most wonderful muffin I've ever had and from then on, it had become my favourite!




*******************

Lately, I've also been into muesli bars. Ever since my colleague gave me a muesli bar some weeks back, I've been waiting for these to be on sales at major supermarkets. Lately, I bought some Alpen and Carmen bars when they were on sales. I also recalled that granolas given by my sister some weeks back were very similar to museli bars. Therefore, I decided to make my own muesli bars! They can really be quite expensive, so I thought if I made them myself, then it should cost slightly less. Well, at least I can control what I want for the muesli. Boy, I was really glad I tried making it, it was really nice!





Recipe for Multi-grains & Fruits Muesli Bars.
Makes approximately 21 slices.

Ingredients:
150g Multi-grains
114g Raisins and Dried tomatoes, mixed*
100g Rolled oats
80g Rye flakes*
50g Dessciated coconut*
50g Sliced almonds, toasted*
20g Rice krispies, toasted*
88g Walnuts, chopped, toasted*
50g Duo Chocolate Chips
3 tbsp Honey
15tbsp Light Corn Syrup, approximately

Method:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients well.
2. Add in honey and light corn syrup, and mix well, like lumps.
3. Pack them and arrange them on a tray, approx 14” x 8”, lined with baking paper.
4. Bake at 180C for about 15mins or until it turns brown.
5. Cooled, and sliced them according to preference.

*Note: Ingredients are up to you to add. Just make sure there are a good mix of nuts and dried fruits to have a balance in taste!

22 comments:

quizzine said...
September 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hi Jane,
Your durian puffs make me salivate.... I've not been successful in making cream puff, yet..kekeke
By the way, i made a (failedq)cinnamon apple & orange cake, a combination of your last 2 posts.

Kitchen Corner said...
September 22, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Hi Jane,
You've baked a lot! The granola bar looks really healthy. I like the recipe very much. Must try the recipe for my craving. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Passionate About Baking said...
September 22, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hi quizzine,
Thanks. I think last year's were better. This year a bit lapse in the taste. :p
Oh, what happened in your experience? I thought it was rather ez, tho tedious. I'm sure you can make it. Try again.
What happened to your apple cinnamon & orange cake? Own experiment? Good to experiement with different flavours, then come up with a concotion of wonderful bakes!

Hi Grace,
Yup, baked throughout the week, not within one day. I feel that I'm getting old, not so much energy to bake so many stuff in one day already! Heehee...
Oh yes, you must try the muesli bar, it's really nice. I was pleasantly surprised too! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...
September 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM

You're still young Jane! Because you could bake so many things in a day!! I don't think you will get older soon if you continue to bake so much kekeke...
By the way, may I know what is the multi grains? Do you mean multi grains flour in the recipe?

Passionate About Baking said...
September 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Hi Grace,
Heehee...Ya, I'm still young, haven't cross forties yet. :p It's actually all in the mind! In fact, maybe I'll get younger with the oil vapour from the oven that lubricates the face! Hahaha...
The multi-grains are really wholesome grains. They contained oats, flakes, flaxseeds etc. You can get them from phooon huat. There is no flour in my recipe. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...
September 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Hi Jane,

I've made some mixed nuts coated with melted cooking chocolate like your rice krispies but the nut dont seems to stick together into a ball. I like them to look a bit shine on the surface. what must I add to the chocolate to have the effect?

Thanks for advise
Esther
(attended yr cookie art class)

Passionate About Baking said...
September 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Hi Esther,
The mixed nuts will not be blinded together like a ball, unless you actually ground them. They are not supposed to anyway. It'll just be sticking out everywhere, which is okay. :)
If you want the chocolate to be shiny, add whipping cream to it. You can add about 25%-50% whipping cream to the chocolate quantity. Heat the whipping cream first, then put in the chocolate to stir. They'll come out to be more shiny. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...
September 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Hi Jane,

Tks for yr fast response. I'll try to grind the nuts to smaller pcs and add some whipping cream to try.

Will let you know the outcome.

many tks
esther

Passionate About Baking said...
September 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Hi Esther,
You're most welcome. Yup, try it and let me know okay? Thanks.

Anonymous said...
September 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

may i know where to get rice krispies?

Passionate About Baking said...
September 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hi,
You can get rice krispies from supermarket. It's a type of cereal, can be found in big or small boxes. Phoon Huat sells it in a big bag. Hope this helps. That is optional, you can omit it if you don't have this.

Kitchen Corner said...
January 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Hey Jane,
I would like to try this recipe but I don't have multi grains on hand. Can I use the Bob's Red Mill Multi Brans? Are there the same things? Thanks Jane!

Kitchen Corner said...
January 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Oppss sorry Jane, it's "wheat bran" not multi bran. Sorry. I hope it could be replace with the multi grains.

Passionate About Baking said...
January 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Hi Grace,
I supposed you can. But maybe you need to add more rolled oats and rye flakes so that they can be binded together. Have fun!

Kitchen Corner said...
January 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Thanks Jane! I think you are right! I have to add more rolled oats to it because the wheat bran is too flaky that they hardly binded together. Thank you!

Passionate About Baking said...
January 7, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Grace, you'll have to add more corn syrup or honey to bind them before baking. If they are still in bits and pieces, add in more if desired. Just ensure that they are not loose. Hope this helps.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Grace, you'll have to add more corn syrup or honey to bind them before baking. If they are still in bits and pieces, add in more if desired. Just ensure that they are not loose. Hope this helps.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hi Grace,
I supposed you can. But maybe you need to add more rolled oats and rye flakes so that they can be binded together. Have fun!

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hi Esther,
You're most welcome. Yup, try it and let me know okay? Thanks.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hi Grace,
Heehee...Ya, I'm still young, haven't cross forties yet. :p It's actually all in the mind! In fact, maybe I'll get younger with the oil vapour from the oven that lubricates the face! Hahaha...
The multi-grains are really wholesome grains. They contained oats, flakes, flaxseeds etc. You can get them from phooon huat. There is no flour in my recipe. Hope this helps.

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hi Esther,
The mixed nuts will not be blinded together like a ball, unless you actually ground them. They are not supposed to anyway. It'll just be sticking out everywhere, which is okay. :)
If you want the chocolate to be shiny, add whipping cream to it. You can add about 25%-50% whipping cream to the chocolate quantity. Heat the whipping cream first, then put in the chocolate to stir. They'll come out to be more shiny. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

may i know where to get rice krispies?

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!