A week of simple bakes

This week started with an order of Nutella cupcakes for my colleague, and some simple bakes. In fact, there was a variety of bakes - cupcakes, buns, cake and macarons!

My colleague bought a small tub of Nutella previously and I volunteered to bake Nutella cupcakes for her, and used up the whole tub!


Then as I was on half day leave on Wednesday afternoon to pack my printed recipes etc, I already baked some sweet buns I learnt from my previous California Style Baking. Instead of adding mixed cherries to the dough, I added raisins, orange peels and dried tomatoes, and chocolate chips. Then topped it with some sweet pastry dough. The overall taste was rather good, but the bread wasn't soft was expected. Luckily the sweet pastry top masked out the toughness of the buns!



Feeling like baking some yogurt cake, I decided to try Sugar Inc's Strawberry Yogurt Cake. This was from her freebies page (provided you sign up for her newsletter). However, instead of using strawberry, I used a mixed fruit yogurt. The cake turned out to be a tad too sweet for me. Maybe it was because I was using a normal yogurt rather than a low fat one. However, my colleagues liked them and so do my hb!



Finally, I decided to try a macaron recipe from this site where my friend sent it to me. I'm so glad that I heed her advice to try this.


I was really thrilled when the feet showed up, but followed by cracks at the top. Then I realised I've placed my rack too high up, causing it to crack so terribly. The second batch was better. At least, most of them were nice and smooth. This recipe will be a keeper for me. And since I've got myself new silpat mats all the more, I will bake more macarons!

8 comments:

youfei said...
September 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Hi Jane,

Don't you just feel really happy and excited when you see those tiny feet appearing? =p It makes all the effort so worth it isn't it? hehe!

I feel like trying the nutella cupcakes!! bleahh

Kitchen Corner said...
September 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Hi Jane,
You've baked quite a lot! The macarons looks nice, I still have no guts to try out after a few failure :(

Passionate About Baking said...
September 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Hi Youfei,
Oh yeah boy! When the feet comes out, boy, was I thrilled, happy and excited! But some of the top cracked because I was too eager for them to show the feet, I placed the rack too high. Heehee...Should've known!
As for the Nutella Cupcakes, so far, I've not tried any good recipe from any blogs. This was made when I attended Chef Jocelyn's Ultimate Chocolate Treats some months back. I just love the nutella taste! ;)

Hi Grace,
I know how you feel. This is my dunno-how-many-times tries already! And I finally got it. Hey, why don't you try this? Otherwise, we can do this together when we meet up? ;) Then we can explore different flavours together! What say you?

Kitchen Corner said...
September 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Hi Jane,
That's great! Thanks a lot willing to teach me. Just let me know what ingredients I need to stand by for you on our meeting ok.

Anna Chan said...
September 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM

your macarons look super smooth and on top and the feet look great too! so yummy looking! congratulations Jane =)

Passionate About Baking said...
September 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Hi Anna,
Thanks for your encouragement. I've yet to pester Philia to teach me. :p Different recipes work out differently I supposed. :)

youfei said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Hi Jane,

Don't you just feel really happy and excited when you see those tiny feet appearing? =p It makes all the effort so worth it isn't it? hehe!

I feel like trying the nutella cupcakes!! bleahh

Kitchen Corner said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Hi Jane,
You've baked quite a lot! The macarons looks nice, I still have no guts to try out after a few failure :(

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!