Chinese New Year is just round the corner. I have started my planning for the cny goodies baking over the next two weeks. I thought Saturday was too early for the goodies, so I decided to bake some Walnut Cake for my sisters instead. I realised that most walnut cake included some chocolate chips. For this recipe, I think it will be good to reduce the chocolate chips as I found it too sweet.
Recipe for Walnut Cake, adapted from Alex Goh's "Creative Making of Cakes"
(Makes a 23cm cake, but I made it into three smaller pans)
(A) 250g Liv Unsalted butter
20g Caster sugar
(B) 7 Egg yolks
(C) 7 Egg whites
140g Caster sugar
(D) 190g Plain flour
1/2tsp Baking powder
(E) 160g Chopped toasted walnuts
100g Chocolate chips (reduced further if you don't want it too sweet)
- Cream (A) till light. Add (B) and continue to whip till light and smooth.
- Whip the egg whites from (C) till foamy. Add sugar and continue to whip till stiff.
- Mix the whipped (C) with the above batter till well blended.
- Fold in sieved (D) and mix till well combined.
- Add (E) and mix till well incorporated.
- Pour the batter intot he greased and lined mould. Sprinkle some extra walnuts on top (if want).
- Bake at 180C for 40mins (for smaller pans) or test until skewer come out clean.
- Cool and serve.