When I saw Annie's Nutella Cake, I was sold! Totally sold! I love Nutella. I love hazelnuts and chocolate. This is a combination made in heaven! Since I need to bake a cake for Mother's Day. This will be it.
Recipe for Nutella Chocolate Cake/Torta Alla Gianduja, modified from Annielicious.
(Source : Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess book)
Makes a 9" cake
For the Cake
8 Small eggs, separated (if large eggs use 6)
Pinch of Salt
125g Liv Unsalted butter, soften
1 tbsp Frangelico, Rum or Water (I used Barcardi Gold Rum)
125g Ground Hazelnut
100g Dark Chocolate, 66% cacao, melted
For the decoration
100g Whole Toasted Hazelnuts
250g Chocolate Ganache
1 tbsp Rum
- Toast hazelnuts in a preheated oven of 160C for approximately 10mins, or until it's slightly brown, or when you smell the fragrance of the hazelnuts. Let it cool completely before using. You may want to consider to make this a day ahead.
- Grind 125g of the cooled hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate using double boiling method, to allow it to melt over gently under indirect heat. Once chocolate begins to melt, stir it gently with plastic spatula. When almost all of the chocolate is melted, lift up the bowl from the saucepan and set it on the counter. Stir continuously until it is shiny, smooth and completely melted. Set aside and leave it cool before use.
- Prepare a 9 inch (springform) tin, greased and lined. I used a 9" removable base tin.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and Nutella together, and then add the rum, egg yolks and ground hazelnuts.
- Fold in the cooled melted chocolate, and set aside.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff, but not dry.
- Then using a spatula, scoop a large dollop of egg white into the chocolate mixture. Fold the egg whites into the mixture by a third at a time. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake it in the preheated fan oven of 160C for 40-45 mins or until the cake centre is not wobbly.
- Let the cake cool on a rack completely before you un-mould them carefully. This was supposed to be a damp cake, but mine was a little dry.