With more strength, I decided to bake buns for breakfast the following day. I made ham & cheese wholemeal buns. As it was a last minute bake, I didn't use the pre-fermented dough, which I usually do. I was glad the buns turned out really nice despite being wholemeal. It stayed soft for the next two days! My eldest son had two in one go and he said the cheese was awesome!
Recipe for Ham & Cheese Wholemeal Buns, modified and translated from 《孟老師的100道麵包》
100g Wholemeal flour
300g Bread flour
30g Caster sugar
1/2 tsp Fine Rock salt
4g Instant yeast
140g Whole eggs
30g Liv Unsalted butter, room temperature
10 Slices ham
10 Slices cheddar cheese (I used President Cheddar. I like President cheeses very much)
1. Mix all the ingredients except butter in a mixer using a dough hook.
2. Once all the ingredients are mixed through and formed a dough, add in the unsalted butter.
3. Knead the dough well until window pane stage.
4. Cover it with cling wrap and leave it to proof for 80 mins in a warm place.
5. Lightly knead the dough to form a smooth round ball.
6. Divide the doughs into 10 pcs.
7. Roll each dough into a round ball and leave to proof for 10 mins.
8. Flatten each ball and roll out to an oval shape with a rolling pin.
10. Place the ham and cheese vertically and roll it up like a swiss roll. Pinch both ends to close.