However, since my one of my baking friend had just shared with me about the chocolate chiffon cake from "Delicious Cakes", I decided to make the most classic decorated cake - Blackforest Cake. As expected, the cake turned out to be really good. My dad loved it! He actually commented that this is the best cake I had produced! Was I supposed to be happy or disappointed? Happy that he liked my cake. Disappointed that after baking for so long, this is the only cake that met his expectation?? LOL. Whatever it is, I was just glad that he liked it!
Recipe for Blackforest Cake, modified from "Delicious Cakes" by Amy Heng.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Makes a 9" round cake
30g Cocoa powder (mixed with 120g hot water, and leave it to cool)
4 Egg yolks
80g Caster sugar
130g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
60g Corn oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
4 Egg whites
60g Caster sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Then add in the rest of wet ingredients (A) and mix well.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients (A) and mix until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until glossy and soft peak.
- Take one third of egg whites and fold gently into step (3).
- Then pour the above mixture into egg white and fold to incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared lined 9" cake pan and baked in a pre-heated oven of 180C for 40mins.
- Invert cake and leave until completely cool before cutting into 3 layers horizontally.
- Drain out the juice from the cherries and leave aside.
- Put juice in a pot and add corn flour. Stir until combined and cook over low heat until boiled and thickened. Stir constantly while cooking. Leave it to cool.
- Whip the cream with sugar until stiff.
- Place a slice of cake onto a cake board.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream and cherry syrup then decorate with cherries.
- Repeat with 2nd layer of cake, cream, syrup and cherries. End with the last layer of cake.
- Spread the whole cake with cream.
- Decorate the sides with chocolate rasps.
- Decorate with chocolate pearls, berries or cherries to your preference.
- Serve chill.