Anyway, when it comes to buying recipe books, I always go for English recipes. However, I broke my own rule this time. I bought 孟老师的100 道面包. I haven't been baking very wonderfully soft buns. So I decided to buy this book, hoping I can produce better breads! I also saw that many bloggers actually baked quite a lot of breads from this book. So I decided to take advantage of the Popular 20% and invest in this book. Based on the limited chinese that I know, I managed to understand and do some simple translation!
With the availability of the ingredients that I had on hand, I decided to bake Bacon and Cheese Buns based on 孟老师的100 道面包's "Cheese and Ham Buns".
Recipe for Bacon and Cheese Buns, adapted from 孟老师的100 道面包.
Makes 9 regular buns
380g Bread flour
40g Wholemeal flour
30g Fine sugar
1/2 tsp Fine salt
4g Instant yeast
1 no. Whole egg (approx. 50g)
30g Unsalted butter
9 pcs Back Bacon, fats removed
9 slices Cheddar Cheese
Some black sesame seeds
- Combine all the dough ingredients except butter. Mix at low speed using a dough hook. Once the mixture has come together, turn to medium speed and knead until a smooth dough.
- Add butter and knead at low speed till combined. Then increase to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and let it proof for 80mins.
- Divide the dough into 9 portions, and roll them into balls. Let them rest for another 10mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fillings. Using the bacon, roll up the cheese like a swiss roll and leave aside.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough and placed the bacon and cheese at the corner and roll it up. Seal it tightly.
- Placed it in the baking tray and let it rest for another 30mins.
- Using a scissor, cut three slits on top and sprinkle some black sesames.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven of 190C for 12mins.