When will I ever stop?

I believe many avid bakers or cooks will agree with me. When will I stop buying kitchen tools? When will I stop buying books? The answer is, we'll probably never stop. However, I know some of us will control ourselves from the temptation of getting even more. At least, for me, I did.

I've been buying baking books on and off, usually one at a time between months. However recently, I sort of ramped up a little (by coincidence). I bought two books from Bookrepository, one from Popular and two from BookFest. I'll just share with you why I had to get them.
Bookrepository
Cakes & Bakes - S$9.00
I like the simple recipes inside. Actually I borrowed this book from Bishan library. I like it so much, I decided to get one for myself. One of the recipe I tried before was the Ginger Shortbread.

Eggs - S$19.40
This is all about eggs for cooking and baking. I like the write-ups. Similarly, I also borrowed this from the library and decided I had to own this book! :p I saw this in Borders and it's selling for about S$27.

Popular Bookstore
Magic Steamed Cake - S$10.32
As a member, we usually get 20% off about four times a year now. My friend has been telling me about steaming cakes. So I thought I might as well get this book to try. Anything from Alex Goh, just cannot go wrong! :p

BookFest
Ice Cream - S$15.92
Again, there is a 20% discount on all books. There were so many choices! I really had to restrain myself from buying more baking book! So to give myself an excuse to buy, I decided to get an ice cream recipe book as I haven't own one yet! :p I've seen similar book from this author - Joanna Farrow, and I like her books. Also, during BookFest, the books that were on discounts included those "higher" range from Harris collection. You'll be spoilt for choice!

okashi - S$27.40
This is the most expensive book I bought so far. I know many bakers already own this book. Even though I can get the recipes from the generous sharing of some bloggers, however, I decided to own this instead. This is also from their Harris collection.

BookFest is still ongoing till 19 Dec. I'm not promoting this event, but I thought if you're interested to get some books, you might want to make a trip down. There is also lots of stationery on sales. It's a good place to get Christmas presents for children! There are many baking titles which gets 20% off too! Like Rose's Heavenly Cakes, The Cake Bible, Professional Pastry and many other titles. My blogger friend, Bakertan, has also got himself some books at BookFest. Thanks for informing us of the good deals, friend!

Coincidentally, during the weekend when we were at BookFest, it was also the Singapore Toy, Games and Comic Convention 2010. There were all dressed up in different characters. It was quite a sight! You can relate to how these passionate people spent the time, effort and money to dress up in their favourite character. Similarly like us, we spend money to buy our kitchen wares, spend the time and effort to bake up good food for our loved ones! Aren't we all the same?

11 comments:

Elyn said...
December 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Hi Jane, I was there at the first bookfest and stock up on books too cos the savings are good! I restrain myself from going the 2nd year then. Actually if you go on the last weekend, the discount at times will even be more.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...
December 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Hey Jane, I just bought a whole bunch of kitchen tools at Williams Sonoma! I am still wondering how to pack them into my luggage! I can never stop!

ReeseKitchen said...
December 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Oh I least I know I can't! I can shop till I drop!!! I can buy a book for only 1 recipe, I can buy lots of baking tools even I don't know when I'm going to use it..haha! Sounds crazy huh...;p

busygran said...
December 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Jane, I understand how you will never stop at buying such things cos I'm also like that! Recently I asked my hub to drive me to ToTTstore at Sime Darby bldg to look at the kitchen stuffs. He flatly refused, saying I would be on a spending spree! Sob!

Bakertan said...
December 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

hey Jane,

hmm, I didn't see 'the cake bible' at the bookfest. Maybe I overlooked it. anyway i got my copy of 'the cake bible' at a bargain price at jusco Tebrau.

I dun think we will stop buying books la. haha. they exist to fuel our passion =].

I just realise I bought probably close to 40 books this year. I'm planning to buy even more books next yr!

Pei-Lin said...
December 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Jane, I think I'm putting a temporary stop in my frantic love for collecting books. I figure what's the point if I can't use them all and haven't even browsed thru some of them ... Oh, well! If you can afford this hobby, you get my support!!

Sometimes, participating in cosplay can be taxing on our body since it's so hot and humid in our region. LOL! I think la ... But I'm never quite a fan of manga/anime ... At most, I went for only Doraemon and Crayon Shinchan ... HAHAHA!

Passionate About Baking said...
December 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Hi Elyn,
I went there since the year they started. Each year, I had to control myself from buying too many! Happy to say, my discipline is quite good. Heehee... You're right, last weekend, last few hours better bargain. Unfortunately, I won't be around. :p

Wow Shirley, you're still buying too! Buy one more luggage and have them all sent in!

Oh Reese, I'm slightly better. I'll make sure the book has at least 5 good recipes which I can bake before I buy! Heehee...

Passionate About Baking said...
December 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Judy,
I've not been to ToTT too! I'm also very tempted to go. Shall we go together, but must leave our money and Credit Cards at home!

Bakertan,
Oops, my error. It was The Cake Book by Tish. You didn't overlook. :P Oh, you must've bought it quite sometime ago! Ya, me too! I've been getting a lot of books this year too! I hope to stop... do you think one will ever stop? Haha... We should do a mini book borrowing session!

Pei-Lin,
You can actually stop collecting books? I can't believe that!
As for the cosplay, it is in an air-con room, so it's not so bad. But like you said, the costume can be very heavy and taxing too!

The Sweetylicious said...
December 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM

me too! everytime i pass by any store, i can never take my eyes off those bakery books and definitely will buy something home! hahah. it is a "bottomless pit" (:

Bakericious said...
December 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I am restricting myself to buy, no more storage place heeheehee...

Bake for a Queen said...
December 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I am always finding excuses to buy new recipe books. And everytime is the last time!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!