Grand Finale - Wedding Cake

This is the grand finale! After obtaining my certificate in cake decoration, I embarked on the wedding cake decoration course. Initially, I didn't want to continue with the wedding cake decoration course. However, my coursemates persuaded me to continue the course with them. After much consideration, I have decided to pursue it. One of the reason was because my coursemates were all very helpful and friendly. Over the weeks, we had formed some bonds and friendships. So I was quite reluctant to complete the course just like that. I didn't know what I was in for!!

From the beginning of this course, we were told that this was a project-based course, where you decide what designs you want for your dummy wedding cake. The final presentation will be the completed dummy wedding cake. Initial couple of lessons were quite relaxed. Subsequently, I was really stressed out in deciding what shape, what size, what colour and what design I wanted. I resorted to borrowing books from the library, and buying decoration books to get ideas and designs.

I took leave a couple of times, to buy my dummy styrofoams and to complete my sugar paste flowers. It was quite time consuming and very stressful. We did our dummy cakes over many lessons...covering each layer, moulding our flowers, piping the designs etc. I couldn't decide on my designs and I kept changing them even till the last minute.


My course buddy, Doris, and myself kept encouraging each other. We were really stressed out, but told each other to take it easy. I must say, she was the bravest and boldest among all of us to try something that was really really outstanding! I figured she has nothing to lose by trying something new as we're all here to learn and if possible, do something extraordinary and difficult so that we can gain more exposure!


The day has come. It was the final day of our work and time for assembling our dummy cakes. I was still pondering what and how to design for my cake topper. I tried air-brushing on my "ball dowels" and on my sugar paste roses. Air brushing is really so natural and nice. It saved the hassle of having to paint it, or add colour to the sugar paste. I used silver pearl dust for my "ball dowels" and sugar paste flowers and it shimmered in the light, very pretty.


Amy, as usual, fed us with her very "ang mo" style of three tomatoes salsa and oriental salad. The day before, we have guacomola salsa dip. She has never failed to bring us food at every lesson. She even cooked curry chicken for us one of the evenings. Doris bought curry fish heads, while Zainah cooked curry chicken for us as part of our graduation celebration. We do not have lack of food at each and every lessons. I doubt other workshops have such privilege. We shared to buy a wallet for Amy as a token of appreciation and friendship. After all, all of us had been "together" for four months now. At each and every lessons, we talked very openly about our private life. We shared with one another our thoughts, our experience and our life. It was really very fun. There were sure to have lots of laughters and jokes! Though it was stressful, the fun, the laughter sort of masked out our stressfulness!

Anyway, let me present the beautiful dummy wedding cakes, from this class of wedding cake decoration.

Zainah - the "tai tai" who has the most patience. Even when the whole world is ahead of her, she is calm & steady. A true homemaker who is very creative and produces quality work.


Su - the lady who has never decorated before she started cake decoration, is already taking orders and selling her decorated cakes to friends and relatives. She picks up fast, practice and applies it equally fast! A fast worker, in all aspects.


Doris - my dear buddy, who can afford all kinds of props which Amy shows! She has gone through so much in life, she is very optimstic, and very helpful in all aspects. I've always paired with her in all other BITC workshops that we signed up together. She is also very daring to try anything. Her top tier is actually a heart-shaped.


DiDi (brother)- I've forgotten his name! *oops* Can't blame me because we always call the two China boys - 弟弟. They are just in their early twenties. They sponsored their own course just to upgrade themselves, even though they don't earn much working here. He was totally lost with his designs, so Su and Doris choreographed his wedding cake designs for him. Doris also donated her wired roses to him.


FuRong - another 弟弟. He helped me to fulfill my dreams. I was his choreographer. Initally I wanted to do the brush emboidery, but I realised it didn't fit for square & round shapes. So I asked him to do it since he didn't know what to do. I also gave him my fondant roses to fill up the "gaps". Doris gave him the wedding couple topper that she had bought for herself. This is how kind she is!


This is my dummy cake design. My theme was ivory and silver. My topper is made of wired air brush silver sugar paste roses, green sugar paste leaves and silver ribbons arranged in a round styrofoam wrapped in blue tissue papers in a small glass placed on top of crushed blue tissue paper. All the tiers of the dummy cakes were piped with royal icing in hearts and pearls, with added silver dragees for some. They were wrapped with silver ribbons at the base. The ball dowels were covered with fondant and air brushed with silver pearl dust. The designs were simple mainly because I'm not creative and don't have the time to do something too fanciful!! Heehee... Special thanks to Zainah and Su for helping me with the floral arrangement for my topper while I happily munched on the breads! *greedy*


Our dummy cakes are presented together in a row to take pictures. We were all so happy and excited that our (nightmare) assignment has completed! I was pleasantly surprised that we could complete earlier than expected, cleaned up, packed up and gathered everybody to take pictures!




This is revealing all the creators behind each designs, including myself! All the dummy wedding cakes have their stories, I supposed. Even though some of our works were not perfect, nor breath taking, we were proud of what we have done and achieved.


Su and Zainah brought back their dummy cakes, while the rest of us left it in the school. I wanted to bring back my topper but Amy refused. I thought it was rather nice to have the topper back and recycle it! Kekeke... Managed to take a picture with my workshop buddy. Looking at it carefully, I thought both of us looked quite alike, don't you think so? Hahaha...



Last words, thank you to Amy for all her guidance. Sharing with us what she knew and more. Providing us with foods all the time, even though she can be quite fierce and stern. And to my coursemates whom have gone through the high stress level, fun and laughters, thank you for all your advice, help, suggestions and food too! I have enjoyed myself thoroughly during the seven weeks, 14 lessons, 50 hours. I shall miss all the fun, laughters and sharings that we have in class. I hope we can keep in touch and meet up often if time permits. All the best, dear friends!

Dedicating this certificate to my wonderful spouse who supported me in living my dreams, and picking me up from my workshops without fail. :)

21 comments:

In a CakeBox said...
August 10, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Congrats in getting another cert under your belt! But i think it's the skills and fun in learning that's more important,right? Love to see more bakes from you soon ;-)

Passionate About Baking said...
August 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Hi quizzine,
Thanks a lot! Certs are nothing if you don't practice. Actually I don't know why I get so many certs for! :p Must get back my routine of baking soon... Hasn't been baking for so long boy!

Kitchen Corner said...
August 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM

WOW Jane! I' so proud of you! You've learnt so much. The cakes really beautiful. I like the fondant roses. Can you make some to sell it for me. I would like to use it for cake decoration. I think the fondant roses is very useful for me as I'm very bad in decoration.

Passionate About Baking said...
August 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Hi Grace,
Thanks thanks! You've been very encouraging too! Oh yes, my instructor said my fondant roses are very well done too! She said I've improved! I'm so happy. Can, I can make them and sell to you, just give me your specs like colour & size. :)

Kitchen Corner said...
August 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Hi Jane,
Can I order 20 pieces of white colour or cream colour roses? I think cream colour would be nicer is it? Can I store it in the freezer? or fridge? Any expiry date for it?

Kitchen Corner said...
August 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM

oppss.. forgot about the size.. may I know what size do you have?

MH said...
August 10, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Wow! Your cake decorations looks simple and elegant, and mightily tall too! :) Congrats on your achievement! What's next? ;)

Happy Homebaker said...
August 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Hi Jane, Congrats! You have made another huge step forward to fulfilling your dreams :D

Passionate About Baking said...
August 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hi MH,
Thanks! Yes, simple because I don't have any other creative ideas already! Heehee... The tallest dummy wedding cake is mine, thanks to my "dowel balls"! :p

Hi HHB,
Thanks very much! I don't know if I will be even practicing wedding cakes at all! But moulding wired flowers sure is rather fun, will likely continue to practice it! ;)

Passionate About Baking said...
August 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hi Grace,
Can can, can take the orders from you. Will email you separately. :)

Yuri said...
August 11, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Hey J, congrats! I am so happy for you! Now I know where to order decorations...

youfei said...
August 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hi Jane,

I LOVE the cake topper. Silver feel so elegant hehe..

It must have been quite tough piping the design as the side of the cake?

Next time my wedding i order from you k? HAHA~

Passionate About Baking said...
August 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Hi Youfei,
Thanks very much! Woah, finally some1 understands how it can be to pipe vertically! Hahaha... That is why my worksmanship is so uneven! Heehee...Needs more practice.
You're not learning wedding cake decor? Thot u will do yourself!
Oh PLEASE! Give me your order, I would really like to have the honour to do a wedding cake for you! But gimme 1 year in advance...so that I can practice, practice and more practice to make "THE PERFECT WEDDING CAKE" for you! ;)

Passionate About Baking said...
August 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Hi Yuri,
Thanks very much. I go around to collect Certs, then put them in the cabinet, and totally forgotten about them! Hahaah... Ya, fondant roses, plain wired sugar paste roses also can. That's all I know how to make! Heehee...

youfei said...
August 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Hi Jane,

I'm still contemplating on whether to learn wedding cake deco..(most prob yes la)..I wanted to make my own wedding cake too haha..but after proper thinking, I figured it'd be kind of an impossible thing. Unless all the tiers are dummy cakes la..haha

I'd be more than happy and willing if you'd very gladly take up my order hehehe! Will let you know 1 year in advance yea? haha..*that is IF i do get married* bahhhh

Passionate About Baking said...
August 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Hi Youfei,
I would encourage u to take up the wedding cake. It's really a challenge, and very STRESSFUL for me!!
Ya, we can collaborate and make you a 2-tier dummy and 1-tier real cake! Heehee... U make the dummy, I complete the real cake! Possible ya?
Oh boy oh boy, I'm so excited. You'll definitely get hitched! You've no lack of suitors my dear! ;)
Maybe I can start to plan my 15th wedding anniversary cake liao! Hahaha...;)

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hi Youfei,
I would encourage u to take up the wedding cake. It's really a challenge, and very STRESSFUL for me!!
Ya, we can collaborate and make you a 2-tier dummy and 1-tier real cake! Heehee... U make the dummy, I complete the real cake! Possible ya?
Oh boy oh boy, I'm so excited. You'll definitely get hitched! You've no lack of suitors my dear! ;)
Maybe I can start to plan my 15th wedding anniversary cake liao! Hahaha...;)

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hi Yuri,
Thanks very much. I go around to collect Certs, then put them in the cabinet, and totally forgotten about them! Hahaah... Ya, fondant roses, plain wired sugar paste roses also can. That's all I know how to make! Heehee...

youfei said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hi Jane,

I LOVE the cake topper. Silver feel so elegant hehe..

It must have been quite tough piping the design as the side of the cake?

Next time my wedding i order from you k? HAHA~

Passionate About Baking said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hi Grace,
Can can, can take the orders from you. Will email you separately. :)

Kitchen Corner said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

WOW Jane! I' so proud of you! You've learnt so much. The cakes really beautiful. I like the fondant roses. Can you make some to sell it for me. I would like to use it for cake decoration. I think the fondant roses is very useful for me as I'm very bad in decoration.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!