Star Wars Chocolate Cake

Two weeks ago, I tried to persuade my sister to let me bake my nephew's birthday cake for his birthday celebration in school. I finally got her to agree. :p Why did I have to persuade her? Mainly because my cake baking and decorating was still not up to standard. So I ask her to let me try, so that I can practice.

After much persuasion from her to my nephew, he finally agreed to have just a simple design cake-Star Wars letterings. They sent me the letterings and I based on it to do a chocolate transfers letterings. I did a "trial" chocolate cake on 30 May for the design. Fortunately, he liked the design, though, not that much of the cake.



The following week, I started again by making the chocolate design, followed by baking the cake, and finally on Wednesday evening, I quickly assembled the cake. I prepared everything the day before, so I just need to quickly assembled them on Wednesday and delivered it over to them on that evening. Fortunately, I was able to complete the cake and delivered to them by 10pm.



Despite my preparation, and having prepared the stuff days before, the cake wasn't really that ideal. Firstly, I used an emulsified cake, which they said was too dense and soft. Secondly, between each layer was just chocolate ganache and chocolate rice, the cakes fell apart once it cut. Likely hood was because my ganache was too thin? Thirdly, the corners of the cake was not levelled. I hope they were not too embarrassed by all these "faults". I was glad I was given the opportunity to "practice". Based on all these feedbacks, I shall attempt to try and improve my cake frosting skills again. Buck up! Never give up!

7 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...
June 8, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Any kids, ANY, would love the cake.
Ok, the chocolate coating is not perfect, but can't really complain about it.

Kitchen Corner said...
June 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hi Jane,
I think you've done a good job! The cake looks really nice especially the wording is very neat. I think you've really improve a lot!!! I must learn from you.

Passionate About Baking said...
June 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Hi Angie
Thanks for your comments too! I would think lots of practice still required! :p

Hi Grace,
Thanks a lot. Yes, I think I did improve a little. But still needs lots of practice to make it real "PRO"! :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...
June 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Looks like your baking can go into business already! Can order from you when I go back for birthday celebration next time..since I don't have an oven in Singapore yet...yeah? Must give extra discount arr!

thecoffeesnob said...
June 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Wow it looks like a lot of love went into that cake. I'm sure your nephew was thrilled.

By the way, your roses in the previous post were gorgeous!

Passionate About Baking said...
June 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Hi HBS,
Woah cannot lah! My standard still cannot sell to you lah. You bake so much better. I can sell to non-bakers, not bakers! Hahaha...

Hi Laureen,
Thanks for your compliments. Yes, my nephew was rather happy. :)

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!