Nutty Chocolate Chiffon Cake

I've been itching to bake cakes. Since I started baking more breads now, cakes seemed to have taken a stand aside in my baking list. For any cake cravings that I have, it's usually chiffon cakes that tempt me. They are light and airy. I know I won't get sick of eating them in anyway. For this cake bake, I decided to do Sonia's Nutty Chocolate Chiffon Cake. It not only looks pretty with the line, it also seemed good with the additional of hazelnut.
chiffon_nuttychoc2
Recipe for Nutty Chocolate Chiffon Cake, adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover.
(Makes a 20cm tube pan)

Ingredients:
5 Egg yolks (50g egg without shells)
15g Caster sugar
35g Corn oil
55g Milk
80g Self-raising flour
40g Ground hazelnut
10g Corn flour

5 Egg whites
70g caster sugar

2tsp Cocoa powder

Method:

  1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light.
  2. Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in milk, stir well to combine. Add in corn flour, hazelnut and self-raising mixture, stir to well combine.
  3. Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed.
  4. Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter.
  5. Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
  6. Pour 1/3 cake batter into chiffon pan, sift a thin layer of cocoa powder on it. Repeat the rest of layers.
  7. Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C for 45mins at middle rack or until cooked. (45mins was too long for my oven. 40mins should suffice for me.)
  8. Once done, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
chiffon_nuttychoc3
The chiffon cake is very fragrant from the hazelnut. It has bits of crunchy nuts as I didn't blizz it. I just used ground hazelnut instead of whole nuts to blizz. I baked it a little too long and was quite dry. Otherwise, the chiffon was still light and yummy. chiffon_nuttychoc1

3 comments:

Alice said...
July 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM

love love love the lines, Jane
now you tempt me to make chiffon cake :)

Rumbling Tummy said...
July 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I like how the line runs.

Passionate About Baking said...
July 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Thank you ladies, Alice and Edith.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!