Recipe for Nutty Chocolate Chiffon Cake, adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover.
(Makes a 20cm tube pan)
5 Egg yolks (50g egg without shells)
15g Caster sugar
35g Corn oil
80g Self-raising flour
40g Ground hazelnut
10g Corn flour
5 Egg whites
70g caster sugar
2tsp Cocoa powder
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light.
- Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in milk, stir well to combine. Add in corn flour, hazelnut and self-raising mixture, stir to well combine.
- Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed.
- Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter.
- Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour 1/3 cake batter into chiffon pan, sift a thin layer of cocoa powder on it. Repeat the rest of layers.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C for 45mins at middle rack or until cooked. (45mins was too long for my oven. 40mins should suffice for me.)
- Once done, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.