While I was there, I ate a lot of dishes cooked in coconut milk. They were known as ginataang gulay. It means vegetables stewed in coconut milk. Here are two of these I had in Philippines.
They were so good, I had to ask my helper to re-create them at home. She was pretty familliar with this. And since I bought Achuete seeds and bagoong, she added them to the vegetables to make it more Filipino taste. The achuete seeds made it more reddish. Here's how to prepare them.
Recipe for Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Milk aka ginataang gulay
Half a large oval (Cameron) cabbage
1 Carrot, sliced
4 slices Ginger
1 tbsp Achuete seeds
1 tbsp Bagoong
250g Coconut cream
- Heat wok, add the cooking oil.
- Sauteed achuete seeds in the oil, when the oil is dark orange in colour, discard the seeds.
- Add in bagoong and ginger and stir till fragrant.
- Add in pumpkin and cooked till slightly soft.
- Add in cabbage and carrot and sauteed till soft.
- Turn down the heat, and add in coconut milk and let it slimmer for about 15mins.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice.