Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Milk - AFF Philippines July 2014

Last year, I was coaxed by my dear Filipino friend to visit Philippines. She arranged my whole itinerary. It was truly one of the best holiday I ever had! We not only had a lot of sight-seeing and activities, we also experienced all kinds of cuisines, especially Filipino cusines! It was also my first time having fresh sea urchin and balut. And best of all, we were driven around by her chauffeur in Manila! She was truly such a good host I almost can't bear to leave Manila!
3 Aug 13 - Mayon Volcano from Cagsawa Ruins. 4 Aug 13 - Our boat - Kirsten. 4 Aug 13 - Under the sea. 4 Aug 13 - Starfishes. 4 Aug 13 - Fresh live sea urchin delicacies. IMG_2995 IMG_3084 P1000565
While I was there, I ate a lot of dishes cooked in coconut milk. They were known as ginataang gulay. It means vegetables stewed in coconut milk. Here are two of these I had in Philippines.
9 Aug 13 - Coconut vegetables. Lunch @ Romulo. 4 Aug 13 - Homecooked coconut french beans. Lunch @ Subic Beach hut.
They were so good, I had to ask my helper to re-create them at home. She was pretty familliar with this. And since I bought Achuete seeds and bagoong, she added them to the vegetables to make it more Filipino taste. The achuete seeds made it more reddish. Here's how to prepare them.
dish_mixedveg02
Recipe for Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Milk aka ginataang gulay
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:

Half a large oval (Cameron) cabbage
1 Carrot, sliced
4 slices Ginger
200g Pumpkin
1 tbsp Achuete seeds
1 tbsp Bagoong
250g Coconut cream
Cooking oil
dish_mixedveg01
Method:

  1. Heat wok, add the cooking oil.
  2. Sauteed achuete seeds in the oil, when the oil is dark orange in colour, discard the seeds.
  3. Add in bagoong and ginger and stir till fragrant.
  4. Add in pumpkin and cooked till slightly soft.
  5. Add in cabbage and carrot and sauteed till soft.
  6. Turn down the heat, and add in coconut milk and let it slimmer for about 15mins.
  7. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice.
I'm submitting this to Asian Food Fest Philippines hosted by The Sweet Spot.

3 comments:

Rumbling Tummy said...
July 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Did you buy your achuete seeds in Lucky Plaza or in Philippine?

Passionate About Baking said...
July 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Edith, I bought my achuete seeds from Philippines supermarket.

Swee San said...
July 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM

oh! you have the achuete seeds!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!