During one of our Facebook chat, I promised my cousin to bake something for her. Since she likes chocolate stuff, I decided to try out this Chocolate Coffee Cake. The cake tasted rather dry after baking. However, when it's left overnight, it became moist. One bite of the cake, you can feel the rich chocolate with a hint of coffee on your palate. The overall taste was really nice. I was glad my cousin liked it.
Recipe for Chocolate Coffee Cake, adapted from "Lust for love of Chocolate".
(Makes a 8"x8" cake [original was 20-cm round cake])
50g Cocoa powder, sifted
125g Coffee paste (10g good instant coffee + 115g hot water mixed well)
120g Liv Unsalted butter
170g Caster sugar
3 Large eggs
200g Self-raising flour, sifted
- Grease and line the cake tin.
- In a small bowl, slowly add sifted cocoa powder to the coffee paste. Mix well. Leave aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and pale.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Fold in some flour and cocoa paste into the batter, alternating the two in three batches.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake in preheated oven of 180C for 45mins.
- Insert a skewer into the cake and ensure that it comes out clean when baked.
- Leave cake to cool in tin for 20mins. Unmould and remove paper.