Red Velvet Cupcakes

I finally "threw in the towel" - I made Red Velvet Cupcakes (RVC). This was despite the fact that I knew how much red colourings it went into the cupcakes. The cupcakes were rather special. I can't really tell the taste of the cupcakes, except that it tasted rather good with the cream cheese frosting. Actually, it was a colleague who "inspired" me to bake this as he was raving about how great the RVC from Twelve Cupcakes were! I hesitated for a long time as the amount of colourings freaked me out!
The ultimatum to bake this RVC was when I watched "Chuck's Day Off" last week and saw how beautiful his RVC was! Initially, I wanted to bake using his recipe, however, as I do not have plain yoghurt on hand, I decided on Sonia's recipe instead. It's straight forward and simple!
So here it is. I made some modifications. As I wasn't able to find my cake flour, I replaced it with plain flour. I also used 2 tsps red colouring instead of 1 tbsp. I found that ChefMaster's colours are very strong. Just 2 tsps of red colouring made it so red! I shall reduce to 1 tsp the next time I try. The cupcakes turned out to be moist and yummy (if you will ignore the colourings). When I let my colleague tried it, he actually said it's as good as Twelve Cupcake's RVC! However, he commented that it has a bitter after taste. We concluded that it must be the taste from the colouring. Otherwise, I'm happy to know that it's good! Well, if you can convince yourself to bake RVC, then try this recipe. It's really good!

16 comments:

jo said...
March 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Very nice. Red velvet cupcakes seem so unassuming but after a taste you will fall in love with it .. esp if it comes with a cream cheese frosting. Yummy!

passionbaker said...
March 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Thanks Jo. I love the cream cheese frosting!

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...
March 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Jane, I was also put off to make this cake because of the red colouring. But I saw Lena of Frozen Wing uses red yeast powder instead that is definitely healthier. I think red yeast powder can be found at Chinese medicine shop.

Precious Moments said...
March 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

J, the cuppies rose beautifully.

passionbaker said...
March 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info Ann. Maybe I should go and check it out.

passionbaker said...
March 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thanks E.

quizzine said...
March 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

The red colouring used freak me out still, so no red velvet cake for me yet! Wonder if it is better if powdered colouring is used instead?

Deborah said...
March 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I love red velvet and your cupcakes look perfect!

passionbaker said...
March 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM

quizzine, I think as long as it's colouring, in whatever form, it's still chemical. Like what Ann said, natural products like red yeast, or even I read about beetroot juice is much better. You can explore these if you are interested. :p

passionbaker said...
March 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Thanks Deborah!

busygran said...
March 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The cake texture looks superb but I'm not so keen on the colour! I do bake a red velvet cake, I'll probably try using some beetroot juice.

passionbaker said...
March 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That's right busygran. Must do some research to use natural colour instead.

Nasi Lemak Lover said...
March 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thanks for trying out..can not bake too often of this cake, too much of colouring, hehehe..

passionbaker said...
March 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Your recipe was truly good! Yes, agree totally, cannot bake too often. Too much colouring! :p

Joyce said...
July 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Hi! May I know what oven mode you use for this recipe? Fan oven or top and bottom heat mode? Thanks!

Passionate About Baking said...
July 10, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Hi Joyce,
I cannot control top bottom heat. I used fan oven for this. Hope this helps.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!