On my dining table were:
1. Chicken Rice. This was prepared using the Prima Taste Fragrant Hainanese Chicken Rice Paste. My eldest son being a chicken rice rice freak, this was the best paste I could find on the supermarket shelves that will satisfy him. I also love this paste very much. You just can't go wrong making chicken rice using this paste.
3. Green Salads. The usual salad with coral lettuce, olives, red tomatoes on vine, yellow tomatoes, sweet basil leaves, raisins, sliced almonds, olive oil, pepper and salt.
4. Mushroom Salads. I improvised this from Laura Caulder's show. Infused olive oil with fresh rosemary and thyme, then sprinkle them over your mushrooms and grilled them. I added french beans for a taste of different textures. See recipe below.
5. Chocolate Hazelnut Tart. Using the sweet tart base, I mixed ground hazelnut into valrhona chocolate ganache and let it set. The base was very crispy. The chocolate was bitter sweet and soft with a light hint of ground hazelnut. The 9" tart was finished within one evening! First time I didn't have a chance to keep it overnight.
We ended the evening by driving to 717 Trading to have our dose of durians. Unfortunately, Mao Shan Wang wasn't in season now. So we ended up eating only D24. That was enough to satisfy us too!
Recipe for Mushrooms Salad, modified from Laura Caulder's "French Food at Home".
200g Swiss button mushrooms (1 packet)
200g White button mushrooms (1 packet)
250g Portobello mushrooms (1 packet)
Some french beans, chopped to about 2" long (optional)
A sprig of fresh rosemary
A sprig of fresh thyme
Some olive oil (depending on how much you want to dress your mushrooms)
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Lay them on a baking tray.
- Warm up olive oil with rosemary and thyme in a pot, then turn off the heat immediately. Do not let it boil.
- Sprinkle some olive oil in your mushrooms.
- Bake your mushrooms at 180C for about 20mins.
- Remove the mushrooms from the baking tray and place them in a salad bowl.
- Stir in the remaining olive oil with herbs and mix thoroughly. Add a dash of black pepper and salt to taste.
- If using french beans, blanch them in water. Drain well then mix into the mushrooms.
- Serve and enjoy the juicy mushrooms!