Whole wheat Rye Artisan Boules

It is still in my interest to bake artisan breads. Breads that command a longer fermentation with little or no sugar and yeast. I referenced "Flour Water Salt and Yeast" by Ken Forkish for this bread. The recipe was adapted from his Whole wheat loaf. Somehow, I mixed in coarse and fine whole wheat with the quantity of water stated, and the dough was way too wet. So I added more plain flour until I do not know the exact quantities anymore. I have to admit, the bread turned out to be really good. Unfortunately, I do not know how to replicate this bread again. >_<"
I did twice stretch and fold with an interval of 30mins each. Then I put it into the fridge for 24hours for cold fermentation. After 24hours, I took out from the fridge and divide it into two, weighing about 548g each. And let it proof in floured bannetton for a further 45mins. Then I baked it in a pre-heated oven of 220C with dutch oven. Dutch oven here refers to the dough being enclosed in a "container", trapping the steam within. After 20mins, I removed the dutch oven and continue baking it on baking stone for a further of 20mins at 200C.

The bread turned out to be really crispy outside and soft inside. It produced a crackling sound when removed from the oven. I am proud that the crust was very well baked. And one of the boule has a pretty scoring. I hope I can continue my artisan bread baking as none of my family likes this type of breads.

boules_wholewheatrye01 boules_wholewheatrye04 boules_wholewheatrye06 boules_wholewheatrye07


Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!

Related Posts with Thumbnails