Whole wheat Rye Artisan Boules

boules_wholewheatrye02
It is still in my interest to bake artisan breads. Breads that command a longer fermentation with little or no sugar and yeast. I referenced "Flour Water Salt and Yeast" by Ken Forkish for this bread. The recipe was adapted from his Whole wheat loaf. Somehow, I mixed in coarse and fine whole wheat with the quantity of water stated, and the dough was way too wet. So I added more plain flour until I do not know the exact quantities anymore. I have to admit, the bread turned out to be really good. Unfortunately, I do not know how to replicate this bread again. >_<"
boules_wholewheatrye05
I did twice stretch and fold with an interval of 30mins each. Then I put it into the fridge for 24hours for cold fermentation. After 24hours, I took out from the fridge and divide it into two, weighing about 548g each. And let it proof in floured bannetton for a further 45mins. Then I baked it in a pre-heated oven of 220C with dutch oven. Dutch oven here refers to the dough being enclosed in a "container", trapping the steam within. After 20mins, I removed the dutch oven and continue baking it on baking stone for a further of 20mins at 200C.

boules_wholewheatrye03
The bread turned out to be really crispy outside and soft inside. It produced a crackling sound when removed from the oven. I am proud that the crust was very well baked. And one of the boule has a pretty scoring. I hope I can continue my artisan bread baking as none of my family likes this type of breads.

boules_wholewheatrye01 boules_wholewheatrye04 boules_wholewheatrye06 boules_wholewheatrye07

5 comments:

Karen said...
November 29, 2016 at 4:38 AM

That is a clever Dutch oven!! Your loaf looks amazing. the 75% whole wheat loaf is the only one I haven't made yet from FWSY, one of my all time favorite bread books!

sharon said...
December 28, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Hi, oh the boule looks fabulous!

may I ask you about your bking stone? I purchased one from Taobao but after preheating my countertop electric oven for 2 hours, it still hadn't gone up to the temperature I needed (I do use an oven thermometer to check)! I really do not want to waste so much electricity but was hoping to try the stone to get the kind of bread I want.

in your case, do you leave the dutch oven on the baking stone as well? and how long does it take to preheat your oven with the baking stone inside?

thank you for your time :)

Passionate About Baking said...
December 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Hi,
I don't know what is the temperature of my baking stone after I left it in the oven to heat up. :p But I know it heats up properly because the base of my bread will get cooked and has a good crust.
I usually leave the baking stone in the oven to preheat for at least 15mins up to 220C.
When it reached 220C on my oven thermometer, I placed my dough inside and cover with the glass. I will bake at 220C for 20-25mins, then remove the dutch oven (glass bowl) and let it bake for at least another 15mins at 210 or 200C. Sometimes, I even have to tent the top and bake for another 5mins.
I hope this helps. You really have to experience with your oven. It is good to bake at higher temperature for the first 20mins to let it burst. Then you bake at lower temperature to cook the dough.
All the best in your bread!

sharon said...
December 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM

thank you for replying!My bad: I had meant that my oven couldn't reach the 220 degrees when I tried using the baking stone. it usually takes about 20mins max to reach that... but with the stone, it couldnt reach it even after 2 hrs :( Could it be because mine isnt a built-in oven?

I will try again though. thank you :)

Passionate About Baking said...
December 29, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Hi Sharon,
Did you try using a oven thermometer to check the temperature? My oven is also not a built-in oven, but it can reach up to 250C. Try putting the oven thermometer on the rack, not on the baking stone. The baking stone doesn't have to reach that temperature I supposed. As long as it's hot. Also, it all depends on the baking stone material. I bought mine from taobao and I suspect it's not of quality. :p But I'm okay as it already burns the bottom if I leave the rack right at the bottom of the oven.
Try the baking stone with the dutch oven and see if you can achieve a better result.

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!