Blueberry Pecan Cast Iron Cake

I was hoping to use my cast iron pan more often since I got it almost a year ago. As my helper seldom use the cast iron pan, I was afraid it might become white elephant at home. So I figured I'd better use it more often. 

A sudden craving for cake made me bake a blueberry skillet cake with added pecans. The verdict for this cake is really good. With loads of blueberries and pecans on the cake, it gives really good texture. I would exclude caramelising if I were to make this again. The caramelised sugar didn't turn out too well for me since I reduced the quantities. I also made some changes to the steps.
blueberrypecancake01
Recipe for Blueberry Pecan Cast Iron Cake, modified from Taste of Home.
(Makes a 10" cake)

Ingredients:
30g Unsalted butter
90g Brown sugar
1 tsp Lemon juice
2 packets (250g) Fresh blueberries
80g Toasted pecans, coarsely chopped

188g Plain flour
80g Sugar
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Egg
130g Plain Yogurt
113g Unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 190°C. 
2. In a 10" cast iron, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice; sprinkle with blueberries, then pecans. [Can skip caramelising the sugar. Can just melt some butter then sprinkle blueberries and pecans.]
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar till light and creamy. Add in egg and mix well.
4. Alternate yogurt with flour. Mix until incorporated. Pour over blueberries. Spread out evenly.
5. Bake for 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!