I'm reposting this Bak Kwa Cookies using Liv butter.
Recipe for Pork Jerky Cookies (香脆肉干饼)
Makes approximately 122 mini cookies
(fill 2 canister containers)
250g Liv unsalted butter, soften
70g Icing sugar
1 Whole egg
1 tsp Vanilla extract
400g Plain flour
A pinch of salt
150g Pork Jerky (bak kwa), mini diced
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat till well incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the flour and bak kwa, and mix thoroughly.
- Use a scrapper to cut out into small sizes, and shape it accordingly.
- Placed it on a baking tray, spacing out evenly.
- Egg wash the top to get some golden colour.
- Bake at 180C for 16-18mins, or until it turned golden.
- Last year when I made this, I rested the dough in the fridge for at least 30mins. This time, I rolled it immediately after mixing. I realised that by resting the dough in the fridge, it produced a more refined crispy taste.
- After mixing the dough, it's still very soft. However, it is still manageable to roll them up.
- After baking, the cookies were crunchy. However, after a day, it turned slightly softer. It didn't taste like those "soften (lau hong)" kind though.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.