Fortunately for the clear instructions provided by Evan, I was able to replicate the eggs successfully! My family members like them too!
Recipe for Lava Eggs, adapted from Bossacafez.
5 Room temperature eggs (weighs 53g with shell)
For the marinade:
1/3 cup Light Soya sauce
1 cup Water
1 slice Ginger
1 tbsp Light brown sugar
- In a pot of water, bring to a simmer.
- With a spoon, add in the eggs one a time. Make sure that all the eggs are completely covered.
- Let the eggs boil for 5mins 45secs.
- While the eggs are boiling, prepare a bowl of ice cold water.
- For the marinade, mix all of them together in another bowl.
- Then turn off the heat and and remove them quickly.
- Put the eggs in a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking.
- Leave them in the cold water for about 6 mins.
- Remove the eggs, peel off the shell. Be careful in peeling as the eggs are very soft.
- Place them in the bowl of the sauce, or transfer them to a ziploc bag (a sandwich ziploc bag fits fine.)
- Let them sit in the marinade for at least 3 hours. You may leave it at room temperature.
- For this size of eggs, if you want it more liquid remove them after 5mins 30secs. For more cooked yolks, leave it in the boiling water for 6mins.
- According to Evan, do not soak the eggs in the marinade for too long as the whites will turn rubbery.