There are many variations of pilaf rice, some cooked in the wok, some cooked in rice cooker, while others baked them. Wanting to try out something new with rice, I decided to cook mine in the oven.
It was one of those rare days when my house was in a total mess due to re-painting works. My helper was busy clearing, cleaning and packing the stuff. So as a good employer (ahem!) I decided to prepare dinner instead.
And so, I decided to make Pilaf Rice. Unfortunately, I didn't stir them to the right stage and some of the rice was not totally cooked. Fortunately, the taste was not too bad. No complaints received from the diners though. I shall try it again, it's not too difficult and the mixture of the nuts and raisins gave it a good mix of texture!
Recipe for Pilaf Rice, modified from Cooking-Ez.com
(Makes for 6 people)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cups Rice
2 1/2 cups Chicken stock
2 tbsp Olive oil
50g Cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, put in the olive oil over moderate heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion, mix well. Add in salt, pepper and paprika and stir well.
- Add in the rice all at once and stir continuously until the rice turned translucent.
That will take about 5 minutes or more.
- Then transfer them to a baking dish.
- Add chicken stock in one go and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the cashew nuts and raisins on top.
- Cover with a lid or aluminium foil, and put into the preheat oven of 190C for 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve hot with vegetables or fish or meat of your choice.