Quiche with flaky crust

With the current situation of COVID-19 affecting the whole world, many of us were "forced" to work from home (wfh). Shops, malls, restaurants were all shut. It was a pitiful sight. Many business had to close because of this pandemic. All of us can't wait to resume our normal life of retail therapy and dining out. Meeting friends and attending workshops.

On the other hand, it's a new experience to be able to work from home. What seems not possible previously, has become part of our life now. I enjoyed the new work arrangement because that means I have more time to myself having saved that from traveling to and fro work daily. However, it's a mixed feeling that being at home means I can't communicate with my colleagues and I so missed that lunch time bonding with them too.

During this period of locked-down, ours termed as Circuit Breaker or commonly known as CB, many of us have turned to home cooking/baking. Flours, cheese and what nots that are used for cooking or baking, are out of stock. Soon, we will see many master chefs emerged from this CB. Although we have exited from our CB on 2 June, things have not resumed. And first time in history, June becomes a school term whereas previously, it will have been a school holiday.

I don't cook or bake as much as I wanted because I was diligent to do my exercise everyday after work. Therefore, I don't have the luxury of time to cook dinner for the family, although I really would like to. The initial wfh, I was still enthusiastic to prepare my own healthy lunch. Subsequently, I just ate whatever my helper prepares. 

There was a day where I had an extra on hand, so I decided to make quiche. It was easy to prepare, and it tastes wholesome too! The pastry was flaky and buttery good.


View post on imgur.com
Recipe for Quiche
(Makes 2 8" round pans)

Ingredients:

Flaky Pastry Crust, adapted from Bake! by Nick Malgieri 
260g Plain flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2tsp salt 
170g Unsalted butter, cold, diced (I used salted butter and added a pinch of salt instead) 
2 small eggs, beaten 

Method:
1. Add all the ingredients in a bowl except eggs.
2. Use finger tips to gently rub-in the flour with the butter till powdery . 
View post on imgur.com
3. Then add in eggs and use a fork to mix well. 
View post on imgur.com
4. Divide dough into 2 and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour. 

Fillings 
Corns 
Broccoli, cut into small pieces 
1 large onion, diced 
1 pkt Shimeiji Mushrooms 
1 pkt back bacon (approx 10 pcs) 
Knot of butter for frying 
Ground pepper
Some mixed herbs
Ground garlic

Method:
1. In a non-stick sauce pan, fry the bacon whole till slightly brown. 
2. Remove and add butter and fry the onions followed by the rest.
View post on imgur.com
3. Cut the bacon to smaller pieces and add to the mix.

Eggs Mixture
200g whipping cream 
5 large eggs 
70g milk 
300g Cheddar cheese, shredded 

Assembly & bake:
1. Remove the pastry from the fridge and round out into two pan moulds.
2. Prick with a fork.
3. Divide the fillings into the two pastry pans.
4. Egg Mixture: In a separate bowl, whisk whipping cream, eggs and milk together.
5. Arrange the cheddar cheese onto the fillings.
6. Fill the pans with the eggs mixture. Make sure the vegetables are all covered.
View post on imgur.com
7. Bake at 200C for 40mins.
8. Remove from the oven, and let it rest before cutting.
View post on imgur.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!