Chashu

I am a big fan of ramen and their chashu, especially those braised with soy sauce. I have always wondered how they rolled the chashu to round shape. A search on google brought me to try Just One Cookbook's Chashu. I started exploring her recipe and it was so good, I made it multiple times already. However, I didn't roll it round, I used the pork belly as it is. Everyone who tried the chashu I made said it was very nice. Even though there were multiple steps and patience needed, the efforts were really worth it. Below is the recipe I made on my third attempt.

View post on imgur.com

Recipe for (Block) Chashu, adapted from Just One Cookbook
(Makes for 8-10 servings)

Ingredients:
1.2 kg Whole block pork belly, cut into 2 equal portion
1 Negi (long green onion), or leeks 
1 knob ginger
1 tbsp Cooking oil
1 cup Sake (240 ml)
1 cup Soy sauce (240 ml)
2 cups Water (480 ml)
100g Sugar

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet (or regular frying pan) over high heat. Sear the fat side down first, then flip over to sear all sides until brown.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
2. While searing, put all the ingredients for seasonings in a heavy-bottom pot (or cast iron) that fits the Chashu. 
3. Add the Chashu and bring it to a boil, skimming the scum and foam. Then turn the heat to low/simmer.
View post on imgur.com
4. Put an Otoshibuta (drop lid) on top to press the ingredient down and limit the evaporation. (I used baking paper to cut to the shape of the pot)
View post on imgur.com
5. Simmer on low heat for next one hour, rotating Chashu every 20 minutes (keep Otoshibuta on all times!)
6. After one hour plus, the liquid will be reduced in the pot. I didn't cook further to reduce the sauce though. 
7. Turn off the heat and let the Chashu rest in the pot.
View post on imgur.com
8. To serve, slice the Chashu into ¼ inch pieces. 
View post on imgur.com
9. Use a blow torch to sear the Chashu slices to enhance the flavor. 
View post on imgur.com
10. Strain the leftover cooking sauce and refrigerate, or pour slightly to the Chashu for more taste.
11. Serve as sides, or in a ramen.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

1 comments:

PRIYANKA DUTTA said...
February 18, 2020 at 12:06 AM

Great content and I appreciate your research about chashu. Good job.
Also you can check my recipe about Homemade stuffing recipes.
Recipe link - https://www.crispyfoodidea.com/2020/02/homemade-stuffing-recipe.html

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!