Apple Cider Drink

A trip to the States made me fell in love with Apple Cider drink. I discovered that the Americans like to have warm Apple Cider during Autumn season. When I was in Pike Marketplace during one of the Falls, I came upon a stall at the street selling Apple Cider. Since I had it before (in Singapore once), I decided to have a go at it again as I like Apple cinnamon combination. That one sip of th warm Apple Cider in the cold Autumn made me so happy! It was the nicest hot drink I ever had! It was so unforgettable!

Since then, whenever I am in US, I will look for homemade Apple Cider drink. And I usually like it hot. However, when I'm back home, Apple Cider is nowhere to be found. It is not readily available. And so, I decided to make it myself. The first attempt was made with ground cinnamon, and lemon slices. The oomph impact was not there. My second attempt was with much success with cinnamon stick and oranges. The richness and thickness of the apples was really nice. Nothing beats a homemade apple cider!

Recipe for Apple Cider, adapted from Sally Baking Addiction.
(Makes approx 3 litres)

Ingredients:

4 medium Oranges, zest the skin separately
11 medium Apples (I use royal gala)
1 Cinnamon stick
6 pcs Cloves

Method:
1. Wash the apples, cut into quarters, and place in the pot. Zest the orange, and add the zest to the pot. Slice the orange and add in. Add the cinnamon stick and cloves. Add enough water to cover the fruit.


2. Turn on high heat and let it boil. Once boiled, turn to low heat and simmer for 30mins. 
3. The fruit will be very soft. Use a potato masher to mash the fruit and release its liquids. Allow the cider to cook on low for 15 mins more.

4. Let it cool down till desire temp. Very slowly strain the chunky liquid though a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher/bowl. You can discard the solids. Serve the cider warm. 

5. Leftover cider keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. Warm up before serving-- or drink it cold.
6. Make ahead tip: Cider can be frozen up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.

Note: 
1. As I like natural sweetness, I did not add any more sugar. You may add sugar to your likeness.
2. If you want to simmer longer or keep the fruits in, remove the orange pith to avoid getting the cider to become bitter.

1 comments:

victor dawson said...
February 19, 2020 at 7:17 PM

really helpful article .

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!